• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows laptop for 15 year old daughter - recommendations please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't life easier when they wanted a pony?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

if only. they now have the ability to source ponies and stabling...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Not really, the old farts on here would be recommending a Shetland as they are hardier and the one they bought 6 years ago is still going strong on a diet of hay and dust
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Get a Mac - coolness factor much more important...

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
            Depends on the requirement - obviously it can't do everything. I can write something on the ChromeBook in Google Docs and email the attachment as a Word document (and other options available e.g. PDF) and it's a clean conversion.

Probably, I would say the ChromeBook has been one of my best buys; had enough of Windows security attacks and the like and its lag etc.

Not having to scramble for a charger all the time does make a difference. Ideal for a student I'd say!

Don't the new Haswell CPUs improve battery life anyway? I think ChromeOS is too immature to be relied on as your primary PC just yet, I mean on Linux/OSX you can at least use LibreOffice... I wouldn't want to be writing essays (with strict requirements on footnotes, etc) and lab reports on G-Docs.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Haswell much better on battery life, but 14nm Broadwell should be out at the end of the year (it's been delayed but looks like will finally get shipped) - with this CPU they might might finally get proper 10 hours usage from laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                They can now have both: http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Little-Po.../dp/B0009WHTIA

And no need to shovel sh** with the virtual version. Or take it to the glue factory when it's worn out.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I googled those 3 things. Skype offered a download link on the Google results page, Adobe reader was very obvious and avast/avg were top for the 3rd. Aren't they all "safe" downloads? Or do any of them try to trick you into installing toolbars?
                  Skype installs mucho crapware. Oracle Java installs the Ask toolbar.

Comment

All,
                    Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
                    I have decided to get myself a MacBook Pro while she gets my old Acer.
                    ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by BjornMorg View Post
                      All,
                      Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
                      I have decided to get myself a MacBook Pro while she gets my old Acer.
                      ;-)
                      good move!

one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                      X