• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ukraine Unrest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Are you blind?

Look again -

AK of various types are standard issue in ex-Soviet states, very rarely even special forces use other kind of automatics.

Compare with wiki data -

AKM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AK-74 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fair enough, I bow to your superior knowledge of soviet weaponry.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Yes that seems a distinct possibility. What a ******* mess.

Bloody russians.
      The standard of trolling has slipped.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Dramatic collection of video's. Looks very like a civil war now.

http://rt.com/news/horrifying-videos-kiev-maidan-901/

Comment

Fair enough, I bow to your superior knowledge of soviet weaponry.
          They taught us that tulip in school, including recognising RAF signs on airplanes...

Comment

Hunting rifle with a scope is not the same as proper sniper rifle...
            It depends what is legal and what they are chambered for. Most assault rifles and derivatives are ~ .22 rounds or similar, hunting rifles and true sniper weapons tend to be more powerful.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              I suspect they'll announce that they've cleared the square with very little resistance or violence.

And then we'll see amateur footage and photos of bodies piled high.

Police look to be on the run. 60 captured according to some reports.

If the police have lost control to the mob then the State will mobilise the military...
              Last edited by Flashman; 20 February 2014, 17:05.

Comment

It depends what is legal and what they are chambered for. Most assault rifles and derivatives are ~ .22 rounds or similar, hunting rifles and true sniper weapons tend to be more powerful.
                In ex-Soviet republics hunting rifles are usually smooth bore, so they can't be too accurate because there is no rifling on them. In USA it's different - people can get effectively sniper/assault rifle with scope for hunting.

The difference is big - attacker with proper guns with rifling can engage 300-500 meters away, and people with smoothbore maybe got 100-200 meters effective range.

Granted, I don't think it will take long for the protestors to get similar firearms - some arsenals have already been raided, if situation escalates then it will be proper war zone but even now Ukrainian President (who was a criminal convicted for rape in the past!!!) got nowhere to go now that there are >100 dead, such orders could have come up only from high level and he'll carry responsibility for it until he is dead.

Comment

In ex-Soviet republics hunting rifles are usually smooth bore, so they can't be too accurate because there is no rifling on them. In USA it's different - people can get effectively sniper/assault rifle with scope for hunting.

The difference is big - attacker with proper guns with rifling can engage 300-500 meters away, and people with smoothbore maybe got 100-200 meters effective range.

Granted, I don't think it will take long for the protestors to get similar firearms - some arsenals have already been raided, if situation escalates then it will be proper war zone but even now Ukrainian President (who was a criminal convicted for rape in the past!!!) got nowhere to go now that there are >100 dead, such orders could have come up only from high level and he'll carry responsibility for it until he is dead.
                  Yeah, you can't slaughter your own population like that and expect to get away with it. Apparently a third region has decided to formally usurp the president as well. His days are numbered hopefully. Apparently Russia stand to lose ~ $30bn if Ukraine defaults, so you would think they have some interest in seeing a peaceful resolution as well, they have to disown him soon surely.

There is an interesting article here on how the EU & US can basically undermine his power base with sanctions BBC News - Ukraine crisis: Oligarchs are Yanukovych's weakest link

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                    Police look to be on the run. 60 captured according to some reports.

If the police have lost control to the mob then the State will mobilise the military...
                    Yeah, I just heard that. It's not going to end well.

Comment

Where there is peace let us bring war...

Catherine Ashton

Comment

Working...
                      X