• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do some people JUST have a mobile phone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    I only have a landline because it's required as part of the broadband thing. Ripoff merchants. I get my own back on them by not owning any phones to connect into it, or knowing the number.
    I moved to cable broadband in 2005 so didn't need a landline for internet any more and sacked it.

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    All comms via mobile or email. Can't imagine what would happen if the signal vanished for 3 weeks though.
    I'd manage with e-mail I suppose and if push came to shove there's a public call box 100 yards away.

Both my phone and iPad are email capable when I'm out and about and can find a free wifi hotspot. Until recently you had to buy something in a cafe or restaurant for free access, but truly free access points are becoming more widely available for an hour at a time in for example my local Coop.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      The one remaining ZeitPhoneLine is about to have a LifeLine phone thingie added to it.

The ZeitParents use it far more than I do.

I make about 3 phonecalls a year on it, mostly to insurance companies.
      Do they not suspicious at the pattern of house fires?

Comment

Mobile reception in my house is tulip. We've got a vodafone signal booster thingy, but I'm still on Orange...

Comment

I suppose Wayne never considered taking a stroll to an area where there was a signal so he could catch up on messages. Nor did his family bother to visit him to break the bad news or get one of those nice people at Royal Mail to pass on a message.

To be fair, it doesn't mention how far away his family lives but if it is too far to travel then perhaps he should have put more effort into keeping in regular contact.

Comment

Working...
          X