• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Earthquake off California Coast

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earthquake off California Coast

I'm surprised the septics haven't used it as an excuse to invade Iran.

Discuss, abuse Chico and/or Franco, or whatever...

Re: Earthquake of California Coast

These "litte rumbles" (though Mag 7 is hardly a little rumble) usually predate something a lot more significant to come.

As the earth's crust shifts and moves, to accomodate a build-up of pressure, rumbles like this are not uncommon. However, a few in the same area, in a short space of time usually mean something big is going to happen.

When my Grandad was alive, he was a bit like a seismic event.

After getting blotto on a bottle of whisky and stuffing himself with a curry, he would go to sleep in his favourite chair.

Then the smells would start.

Outpourings of sulpherous-like gastro-entrinal emissions would begin to fill the room, stripping off wallpaper and removing nasal hair from the nostrils.

As kids, we used to get quite excited, taking bets on the poor victim (more later).

There would then follow a number of audible stomach groans (or rumbles), each one growing in intensity, until it sounded like we had a pride of tigers in the living room. These were accompanied by sporadic body movements, as he changed position in his chair.

Then "The Silence". The lull before the storm.

That was the cue for the youngest to be placed in to position on grandpa's lap.

Eruption !

Poor little mite was propelled halfway across the room, as a shower of faecal matter would burst from Grandpa's beige trousers, swamping the chair, the floor and anyone within 5 feet unfortunate enough to be caught in the blast radius.

Grandpa would then wake up, and begin saying "Eh ? Eh ? Did someone say something ?...What in God's Name is THAT ?", pointing at a quivering blob 2 foot tall, cowering in poo.

"That's Little Tim, Grandpa", we would say, adding, "You sh@t him to death".

Grandpa would laugh and pop a Werther's Original, before dryly commenting,

"You kids don't know you've been born. In my day, we used to have to pay to have ourselves buried alive in sh1te. Now you get it for nowt."

Then he'd turn on to his side and fall asleep again.

Nostalgia eh ?

Comment

Nostalgia eh ?
      Yup, it ain't what it used to be!

Comment

Does that mean it is time to buy some worthless desert property slightly to the East of the LA Basin

Comment

quoting

I'm surprised the septics haven't used it as an excuse to invade Iran.
          Was it not you Spod who was complaining about someone on here putting link only rather than quoting article just yesterday, eh? :rolleyes

Comment

Re: quoting

Was it not you Spod who was complaining about someone on here putting link only rather than quoting article just yesterday, eh?
            Yup, it was...

I'm practising to be the next Prime Minister!!!

However you will notice that the link caption has nothing whatsoever to do with the item to which it is linked!

Spod - In "Do as I say, not as I do" mode!

Comment

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4102064.stm

The BIG one is on it's way!

Next Tuesday 14:25 PST.

9.4 on the Richter.

You heard it here first!

traj in "My day job is really a plate tectonic seismologist" mode.

Comment

Seismic history does follow a pattern of smaller shifts, leading up to major shift before everything settles down again.

Hope nobody is off to SoCal in the next few days for their summer holiday.

Comment

I was playing on-line poker last night. And one of the players said, hey I just had an earthquake, he was the Simi Vallyey,CA whether that is.
                  I think it must have just been a tremor as he carried playing.
                  Obviously they are used to them in CA.

This type of distraction is very bad for your game.

Comment

Working...
                  X