• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How you all got started?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fishy tale

I was born a mermaid.

For years I sat on a rock in Docklands Harbour, combing my hair, watching IT contractors come and go into the shiny buildings. Oh, how I loved shiny things and I longed to join them, drinking champagne and eating caviar! But it seemed an impossible dream.

One day, a courier arrived from Helvetica and promised he could grant my wish. I could trade my fishy tail to work in IT. I could work in not one shiny building, but all of them! I jumped at the opportunity (and it's very difficult to jump when you haven't got legs), but it was a trap - I was destined to spend eternity inside a computer, writing characters to the screen at the beck and call of the user. You may have come across me - my name is Arial...

Comment

How do I become a tester?

I failed at everything else in life and someone told me I was qualified
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        I was born a mermaid.

For years I sat on a rock in Docklands Harbour, combing my hair, watching IT contractors come and go into the shiny buildings. Oh, how I loved shiny things and I longed to join them, drinking champagne and eating caviar! But it seemed an impossible dream.

One day, a courier arrived from Helvetica and promised he could grant my wish. I could trade my fishy tail to work in IT. I could work in not one shiny building, but all of them! I jumped at the opportunity (and it's very difficult to jump when you haven't got legs), but it was a trap - I was destined to spend eternity inside a computer, writing characters to the screen at the beck and call of the user. You may have come across me - my name is Arial...
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          Wanted to work as a contractor from the time I was at Uni. Looking at the contracting jobs adverts on a Friday was the only thing that kept me in at the weekend to do my assigments.

Knew I would not get a contract role without experience, so I went to work for a consulting company from Uni. to get experience.

After a few years went contracting.
          Similar to myself although I only discovered contracting when one did a stint and my permie place of work. Was studying for masters in spare time- money is a good motivator. Still tough when ur house mates are having BBQs outside and you have to revise.

But it paid off as they say
          "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
          Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Working...
          X