• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Futurelearn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Futurelearn

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses

New, free online courses in the UK.

Looks like the first ones have filled up already.

Good to see that the first course that comes up is :-
    Learn the basics of Java programming by developing a simple mobile game that you can run on your computer, Android phone, or tablet.

Sidcup old swimming pool(I took babybp to the new one this one) is being turned into a college. Not for engineering or anything useful - but for dance.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Learn the basics of Java programming by developing a simple mobile game that you can run on your computer, Android phone, or tablet.

Sidcup old swimming pool(I took babybp to the new one this one) is being turned into a college. Not for engineering or anything useful - but for dance.
      Lots of interesting stuff, but courses are short, so I imagine quite superficial.

Comment

I've been using www.coursera.org for the past 6 months. Currently got 3 courses on the go!

Coursera offer signature track to give some sort of validity to your final grade.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          I've been using www.coursera.org for the past 6 months. Currently got 3 courses on the go!

Coursera offer signature track to give some sort of validity to your final grade.
          Yep, they look good, and have a lot more on offer. I did start to watch the machine learning videos.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Lots of interesting stuff, but courses are short, so I imagine quite sasguru
            Ftfy
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Yep, they look good, and have a lot more on offer. I did start to watch the machine learning videos.
              That's the first course I did, it wasn't exactly light weight!
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                That's the first course I did, it wasn't exactly light weight!
                I haven't got to the hard bits yet!

Comment

Have started thread in Tech suggesting sticky for online learning resources.

(Also signed up to the 'proper' Machine Learning rather than just watching preview vids. Gulp.)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    This course is suitable for complete beginners – you do not need any knowledge or experience of programming to take this course.
                    So how much is anybody going to actually learn? It can only be telling people exactly what to type.

This was featured on R2 the other evening, but they didn't say what kind of level courses they were offering. Talking about the OU connection, and US universities doing distance learning made it sound like an alternative way of doing a degree, which obviously it isn't. It's an alternative to a council run evening class, but without getting out of the house and meeting new people, which is probably the main reason people do council run evening classes.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X