• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JSA claim - hmm bit different this time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JSA claim - hmm bit different this time

Bit more hassle than normal. This time the woman in the job centre insisted I had to select 2 more occupations rather than just IT.
    So I picked astronaut and taxidermist - she wasn't impressed.

Also, apparently I've got to register for direct.gov job search or whatever. Did try to explain what I did and how it all worked without sounding too much like a showoff buts its difficult. In the end, she asked how much an hour I normally expected to work for. I quoted date rate to her and she then argued with me that this must have been per week and I was mistaken. Hmmm.

Also, had an argument about being self-employed. She said I was I said I wasn't. Gave up in the end. Told her I could provide my accountants phone number if she wanted it explaining to her.

Finally, today have had a letter to my home address addressed to my company asking me to give reasons why employee finished work. Will probably get mrs (as director) to sign it rather than fill in myself to avoid any hassles.

Next time I really might not bother.....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

This is the prof forums because.......
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"IT" is not an occupation. Programmer, Tester, etc are occupations.

You're arguing about signing up to their job search website?

You're not self-employed.

You've been laid off due to lack of work. Fine, if your wife is a director get her to sign it.

Comment

You are self employed. A company you own employs you, ergo you employ yourself.

Nice avatar NLUK, did you do it yourself?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          My accountant is adamant that I am not self employed, I am a director (aparently this isn't employment) and majority shareholder of a company.
          Last edited by BigRed; 6 September 2013, 14:16.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            This is [in the] the prof forums because.......
            He relies on the professional conduct rules which prevent people being called a ****ing moron, even when they deserve it??
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Logically, yes. Legally, no.

A self-employed person in the United Kingdom can operate as a sole trader or as a partner in a partnership (including a Limited Liability Partnership or "LLP") but not through an incorporated limited (or unlimited) liability company.

Comment

Nice avatar NLUK, did you do it yourself?
                Yep, helping Admin re-brand the site so it doesn't get tired and old...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...resh-real.html
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                  My accountant is adamant that I am not self employed, I am a director (aparently this isn't emplyment) and majority shareholder of a company.
                  You're paying your accountant to say that
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    He relies on the professional conduct rules which prevent people being called a ****ing moron, even when they deserve it??
                    Well, I've had enough of him cowering behind the professional forums. It's an abuse.

He's a ******* moron. Can we get this moved to General please, mods?

Comment

Working...
                    X