• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day 2 and nothing to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    +1

The art of being a contractor is to find some work to do, at least learn about their system FFS.
    I will Neg rep you for being so stupid.
    I thought as a proper business with MOO, the point was you SHOULD stay away if there's not work to do rather than sit there like a permie taking money to fill a seat.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I thought as a proper business with MOO, the point was you SHOULD stay away if there's not work to do rather than sit there like a permie taking money to fill a seat.
      I agree.

But finding work to do (eg. learning about the system before you start messing with it) is something that a contractor should be able to do (and to string it out for as long as possible without actually having to do any meaningful work).
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've just spent the last 6 months doing **** all due to senior mangement which, if everything goes their way, means I'll be doing 24/7 from mid-September until end November. I had a project for the first 6 months which came in 20 days early but I could have completed in less than 6 weeks apart from having to rely on other team's input. I despair sometimes, then I think of the invoice. I also think that if I had to be here 5 days a week I'd go ******* doolally although I'd be able to buy a new Porsche every year...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I see it similarly to something like a Sky TV subscription. If I buy a new house and get them to turn on the TV/broadband from the moving in date - then that date changes because of an oversight on my part should they hold off and not charge me anything until I've got my **** together?

I don't think they would and that's how a 'proper business' operates. What would a bunch of builders do if you got them all on site and hadn't got the materials they need to start working? Go home and not do any billable time (which they could be doing on a different site) until you sort yourself out?

Time is money

Of course as a contractor on site you can meet your team, shadow people - I've even had stuff printed out and gone over it with good old pen and paper while waiting. Other times we've (a team of 3) sat and played with our phones for 2 weeks while they sort out or logins and machines.

Very wasteful but some clients - mainly banks - choose to do this
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Did you read my post " find some work to do...".

The fact that I have a current extension is because I discovered a problem that client co was not aware of, I worked out a solution and now implementing it. There is always work to do and opportunities if client co has a budjet.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Did you read my post " find some work to do...".

The fact that I have a current extension is because I discovered a problem that client co was not aware of, I worked out a solution and now implementing it. There is always work to do and opportunities if client co has a budjet.
              One problem is that many contractors are scared to do that fearing IR35.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

This has happened to me several times. Right now I'm into my second week on the contract and we are still 'waiting for the project to get going', in other words I have s*d-all to do, except sit at the desk doing 'research'. I'm still hopeful though that it will genuinely get going properly - its a nice place to work.

Previous contract never really did get going. I was hired on a 2 month contract to troubleshoot performance on a large system.

It was apparently crucial that I was to start the day after tomorrow as there was loads to do and the situation was desperate. So at considerable personal expense, I booked last minute travel to Europe and duly turned up at the client site at 9am on the agreed day.

It was so crucial that it took half a day to actually get into the building then a week of sitting around before I was able to login to anything. Ten minutes after logging in, I located the source of the performance problem, recommended a parameter change which was implemented that evening. The following day, the system was running like greased lightning - problem solved. I then basically had to fiddle around for the remaining 7 weeks trying to look busy. I must have succeeded because they wanted to extend me - I politely declined the offer.

One thing I've learnt in this game is that its impossible to tell what a contract will be like before you get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthritic Toe View Post
                  This has happened to me several times. Right now I'm into my second week on the contract and we are still 'waiting for the project to get going', in other words I have s*d-all to do, except sit at the desk doing 'research'. I'm still hopeful though that it will genuinely get going properly - its a nice place to work.

Previous contract never really did get going. I was hired on a 2 month contract to troubleshoot performance on a large system.

It was apparently crucial that I was to start the day after tomorrow as there was loads to do and the situation was desperate. So at considerable personal expense, I booked last minute travel to Europe and duly turned up at the client site at 9am on the agreed day.

It was so crucial that it took half a day to actually get into the building then a week of sitting around before I was able to login to anything. Ten minutes after logging in, I located the source of the performance problem, recommended a parameter change which was implemented that evening. The following day, the system was running like greased lightning - problem solved. I then basically had to fiddle around for the remaining 7 weeks trying to look busy. I must have succeeded because they wanted to extend me - I politely declined the offer.

One thing I've learnt in this game is that its impossible to tell what a contract will be like before you get there.
                  Lucky you - I've got 6 months of this!

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
                    Lucky you - I've got 6 months of this!
                    So have we
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      So have we
                      I know Admin's not the brightest (although of course we love him anyway) but it can't be beyond him to set up a ******* Morons sub-forum into which certain posters' threads are automatically diverted.

Comment

Working...
                      X