• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which watch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You'd have to be some sort of cretin/have self-esteem issues to waste thousands on a watch, IMHO.
    Unless it was an appreciating classic.
    I would've thought that someone as astute as yourself would realise that your opinion is worth slightly less than fck all.

HTHBISDI

Comment

A Swiss watch here has been marked down from $995 to $99!

Half tempted to buy it, although I'm not keen on that "busy" look. Or the orange colour come to that.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        A Swiss watch here has been marked down from $995 to $99!

Half tempted to buy it, although I'm not keen on that "busy" look. Or the orange colour come to that.
        Google it, only one small part of the watch is Swiss. It is made in China
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

And there's a load of 'Swiss' Legend watches on Amazon, all of them 80-90% off the RRP, which makes me think it's actually a $99 watch, the kind of thing they sell on QVC at a 'massive discount'.
          Last edited by Bunk; 1 September 2013, 12:17. Reason: 'Off', not 'of' :eyes

Comment

Here's a nice one

http://Poljot

BTW. About £250 new
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              And there's a load of 'Swiss' Legend watches on Amazon, all of them 80-90% of the RRP, which makes me think it's actually a $99 watch, the kind of thing they sell on QVC at a 'massive discount'.
              Indeedy. How many watches have been sold at $995?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                You'd have to be some sort of cretin/have self-esteem issues to waste thousands on a watch, IMHO.
                Unless it was an appreciating classic.
                I was beginning to wonder if the board was completely full of gullible idiots who think designer items are worth their ridiculous price tags. There was a time when expensive watches were necessary to keep good time with adjusting them all the time, but anything over £50 is more of a fashion statement than a requirement for timekeeping.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Not to the same amount, but that's how I bought one of my watches, when it was 1:4 instead of 1:3. I wasn't prepared to spend thousands on a watch, but a few hundred in vouchers was a different matter.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    I'm buying this beaut at the weekend Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Eco-Drive Titanium Watch: Citizen: Amazon.co.uk: Watches

Titanium case and strap, and sapphire face with an uncluttered clear dial.

I just hope those dial markings are generous dollops of radium, so it's nice and luminous
                    That Citizen model had everything I wanted except hour numbers round the dial. Sounds a trivial point, but they make it marginally easier to tell the time at a glance.

So in the end I settled on a Ruhla Gardé Germany Radio Business GR10-15AM Wristwatch for Him Radio Chronograph, and hope that "D" in the digital display isn't some German abbreviation for a day name (or that it can also display in English).

Was also quite tempted by the Suunto Core Outdoor Sports Instrument, with a compass, altitude, barometer, and pretty good reviews.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X