• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just booked my apartment for the week of September 18th 2014

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Are you going to vote "Yes" though?

All the people I know in Scotland are like yourself and most think the vote is amusing.
    I'll no longer be there when the vote is held - no way I'm renewing this contract if they won't let me move to a closer office.
    Unfortunately, I think there is still far too much uncertainty for anyone to make an informed decision. Until there is a clear decision, ratified by both Scotland and Westminster, over costs, income, etc, then I don't really know how I'd vote. Of course, this is from the perspective of someone who normally lives in England. If I were Scottish I may be more tempted to believe the SNP when they say "London will pay for everything, it won't cost us a thing, it will all be rainbows and puppies (of the non-murdered-then-deep-fried variety)".

Of the Scots I work with, most think it's a bloody stupid idea and would vote no. Of the English people I speak to, most are now saying they wish they had a vote so they could vote yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
      Of the Scots I work with, most think it's a bloody stupid idea and would vote no. Of the English people I speak to, most are now saying they wish they had a vote so they could vote yes.
      That's the ironic bit. Us English are so feed up with the scots saying that they don't like us we just want shot of the lot of them.

Plus the disaster that would inevitably follow would be fun to watch.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Shock news! The Scots, relying on high public sector employment, are to the left politically.
        Whoever made this link was a headline grabber, a bit like there's more porches in Greece than higher rate taxpayers. There are more public sector workers per capita in English cities than in Scotland, so why is England not lurching to the left?

I'm currently a non-Scot living in Scotland and I've now shifted to the view that I hope the vote is a yes, as long as it doesn't cost the rest of the UK a disproportionate amount, and that Scotland is not allowed to rejoin the UK when it all goes tits up. I used to be of the opinion that the Scots shouldn't be allowed to leave, now I say get rid of them and don't let them back.

"I used to be of the opinion that the Scots shouldn't be allowed to leave"

As Stewie might say 'who the hell do you think you are!' - Anyway the post sounds awfully bitter, and it is a shame.

"When it all goes tits up"

My father in-law is a paid up Tory, yes from deep down in the South. We're of the same opinion, like most I run into these days, Scotland is more than capable of looking after it's own domestic affairs. The state needs to be shrunk to reflect the size of the economy or else we'll be bankrupt in 5 minutes. It's no business being the size that is and nor does it need to be.

In fact I'm of the slight opinion this is what shall happen throughout Europe in years to come, yes the EU will stay together, I've no doubt of that as will the currency. But I do believe states will have greater control of their financial affairs. Taxes collected are spent locally, a little like here in Bavaria.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Shock news! The Scots, relying on high public sector employment, are to the left politically.
          Scotland does not rely upon public sector jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            The impression I get from Scots friends on facebook (who may or may not be representative of the larger population) is that a fair number will be voting for independence. I don't think anything's certain at the moment.
            Similar story here amongst my fraternity. Which always seems at odds with the national press. And there's more conversion about what happens to the UK at larger, there's excitement about change.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Are you going to vote "Yes" though?

All the people I know in Scotland are like yourself and most think the vote is amusing.
              I wish I could vote, as someone with 8 generations before being born there before records become fuzzy. But I can't. And with such legacy it's a real shame that such an important vote shall be treated with such <suitable adjective with a few colourful metaphors>. Makes me sad.

Comment

The yes vote will get about 25%.

Unless Cameron and the Queen get pictured feasting on the copses of dead Scottish babies nothing will change.

Scotland could do OK anyway if it was ran correctly, it has a decent range of industries that are profitable, fisheries, agriculture, natural resources, tourism, it has a financial centre and whisky is pretty profitable. This is all more than vast swathes of England have.

IT is the idiotic ideas that Salmond is coming out with about a fairer society that I want nothing to do with. Like this...

Advocates brand SNP plan for families

I ain't living in a country that does stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  IT is the idiotic ideas that Salmond is coming out with about a fairer society that I want nothing to do with. Like this...

Advocates brand SNP plan for families

I ain't living in a country that does stuff like that.
                  Ooooh. That is not nice.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    The yes vote will get about 25%.
                    Even that will result in change.

That policy does seem maddening. People would not allow it, more important people are listened to and that is heeded.
                    Last edited by scooterscot; 17 August 2013, 09:54.

Comment

I'll no longer be there when the vote is held - no way I'm renewing this contract if they won't let me move to a closer office.
                      But what if you were still there and corporation tax is reduced to 0%. You'd be quids in.

Comment

Working...
                      X