• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Football - Played, watched and run by idiots

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Until we stop playing 11-a-side for kids under 14, England will not win an international tournament.

We panicked 15 years ago and said the kids need more coaching. Now they are over-coached from an early age.

Just let them play, have fun and develop at their own pace.

qh
    Bigger issue is they have too much money and don't care for their country.

Introduce the maximum wage again.

Comment

Agreed, 11 asides should be scrapped for kids.

Also parents should not be allowed to attend these games, they are often hurling abuse at the kids and punch ups are fairly common.

Madness.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        At least in England, this is true. I note from some of the threads that England-Scotland was 3-2.
        The fact that we were stretched by such a poor team proves my point.
        We should just abandon football - we've proved that intelligent application and money can make England a world beater in any other sport we choose.
        The only one that resists is football as it is run by a bunch of self-interested, old-fashioned cretins, watched by thickos who don't mind paying a week's salary for a ticket and played by a bunch of narcissistic, overpaid mediocrities who fondly think they are "world class".
        It is a bit of an odd situation though. Traditionally countries tend to excel at sports everyone plays, unsurprisingly... and football is far and away the most common sport in the UK as well as being about as ingrained a national sport as one could imagine in any country. Also we're a relatively populous nation.

So it just seems surprising we don't have a surplus of great players.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          It is a bit of an odd situation though. Traditionally countries tend to excel at sports everyone plays, unsurprisingly... and football is far and away the most common sport in the UK as well as being about as ingrained a national sport as one could imagine in any country. Also we're a relatively populous nation.

So it just seems surprising we don't have a surplus of great players.
          England DO have a surplus of great players. They just have a dearth of great teams due to the dearth of great managers.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Also parents should not be allowed to attend these games, they are often hurling abuse at the kids and punch ups are fairly common.

Madness.
            +1 The reason why I quit being a coach, didn't do it to argue with parents. I realised I liked coaching but hated being a manager. The league I was in had mini soccer (6v6) for under 10s. This was good, however the under 11's was straight to 11-a-side, full pitch, big goals. No wonder some kids move to another sport.

10 yrs ago I coached at a soccer school down south for two years, it was all about having fun not goals or results and ALL the parents were brilliant.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Speaking of thick managers:

BBC Sport - Man Utd: David Moyes criticises Premier League fixture list

Luckily he's Scottish, perhaps they don't teach probability at school there.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I thought a stato like Sas would realise that 14th out of 207 is pretty good, that's the lowest England have been in a long while.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  They did that at least 10 years ago, probably more.

I don't know about the country as a whole, but it's everywhere I've seen kids football played in my area.

Our local club runs more than 20 teams of various age groups under 12, and play 7 or 8 a side on smaller pitches with small goals. Obviously the other clubs in the area they play against do the same, including those over in Luton.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Speaking of thick managers:

BBC Sport - Man Utd: David Moyes criticises Premier League fixture list

Luckily he's Scottish, perhaps they don't teach probability at school there.
                    Yes. Just the latest in a long line of thick Scottish Managers that have seen that proud footballing institution languish in the doldrums for so long.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      At least in England, this is true. I note from some of the threads that England-Scotland was 3-2.
                      The fact that we were stretched by such a poor team proves my point.
                      We should just abandon football - we've proved that intelligent application and money can make England a world beater in any other sport we choose.
                      The only one that resists is football as it is run by a bunch of self-interested, old-fashioned cretins, watched by thickos who don't mind paying a week's salary for a ticket and played by a bunch of narcissistic, overpaid mediocrities who fondly think they are "world class".
                      You take it too seriously sas. I enjoyed a good game of football last night for its own sake. Rankings and expectations don't come into it.

Money drives all sports. In all those other sports the money is generated by the national team, so they call the shots. That's not true of football.

Comment

Working...
                      X