• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Murray deserves knighthood

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    thought sporting success=OBE/MBE?

Knighthood is for living legends who do a lot of work for Charidy.
    That would be my take. Giving the highest honours you can get for winning a game you are a professional in doesn't seem right.

He has an OBE already doesn't he?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      That would be my take. Giving the highest honours you can get for winning a game you are a professional in doesn't seem right.
      Once England wins World Cup in Brazil next year it would become a new norm.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Once England wins World Cup in Brazil next year it would become a new norm.
        I guess if you achieve the impossible then maybe you deserve a knighthood....

If he is going to get one it better be now. HRH's hand is not as steady as it used to be when holding a 3 foot sword.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am a big fan of Murray's but I have to say that giving him a Knighthood at this stage of his life would be far too premature.
          Let's wait until his playing days are over then take stock of what he has achieved. Maybe then would be the time to consider it.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

So many dodgy chancers have been given a knighthood it's almost an insult to be considered for one.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              thought sporting success=OBE/MBE?

Knighthood is for living legends who do a lot of work for Charidy.
              Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              I am a big fan of Murray's but I have to say that giving him a Knighthood at this stage of his life would be far too premature.
              Let's wait until his playing days are over then take stock of what he has achieved. Maybe then would be the time to consider it.
              Hoy has one but is retired. Ben Ainslie has one too but while not retired, is in a whole different league to Murray in terms of achievement.
              On the other hand, Murray has probably given more excitement to the population, national pride, etc, jut in that one win. If they don't give it to him now, when would be the right time... winning 3 or 4 titles isn't worthy of the award and winning Wimbledon twice isn't as special, it's only because it's been so long.

If Scotland go independent, what happens then? Will knighthoods to Scots still be allowed?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It's about promoting Britain abroad when foreign TV companies are asked to use his title and people inquire as to its meaning.

"well jeez Mary-Jane-Katie-lee, aint those British people intersting, I bet he lives in a Castle"

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  If Scotland go independent, what happens then? Will knighthoods to Scots still be allowed?
                  The queen will still be Scotland's monarch,

Comment

IIRC foreigners aren't allowed to use the "sir" but are KBEs. Like Sir Bob Geldof (who shouldn't be called sir).

But if Scotland does become independent, does that mean we'll have to go back to saying there hasn't been a British winner of Wimbledon for 78 years (or whatever it is)?

I bet Murray gets an OBE. If he wins it 8 times, and then retires then yes fine, Sir Andy, but at this stage it seems ludicrous.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Ainslie has one too but while not retired, is in a whole different league to Murray in terms of achievement.
                      WTF?
                      Ainslie's achievements, whilst impressive in terms of consistency and longevity, were achieved in a rather obscure field of endeavour. I suspect the number of people globally that have even tried Ainslie's preferred Class of Sailing could all be accommodated, with wives and families, into the Centre Court.
                      If he is in a different league then it is surely quite a few leagues beneath that in which Murray plies his trade.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X