• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Acid or Alkaline?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could put acid on one hand, and alkali on the other.
    Yes this will guarantee that one of the hands will itch like buggery, but at least you'll have the other good hand to scratch it with

(sorry!)

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      I'm an idiot.

I stopped on my cycle home from work to pick up a geocache. It was called 'trick or treat'. Took me a bit of searching about to find the box, then, when I opened it, there were about 20 diddy containers inside, all with a rolled up bit of paper. Tweezers were provided. I extracted about three (all of which said 'trick') before I realised I was being eaten alive by mozzies. Persevered, and extracted all 20 before giving up in disgust. Had a 'duh' moment on the way home when I realised where the likely hiding place for the log book was - not in any of the diddy containers of course.

Anyway - I have counted 17 mozzie bites on arms and legs. Going insane with itching. Googled 'cures' which range from baking soda and ammonia (alkali) to vinegar (acid).

So which is it? How can I stop these bloody things from itching? (I'm two beers into the alcohol remedy, but, apart from brief relief when holding the icy bottle against the bites, it's not really working).
      But that's an easy one.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        piriton.
        agreed the antihistamines will work very well on the mozzy-bites

Not sure how well they'll work with the "alcohol cure" though - sleep well!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post

You can put alcohol on the bite as an antiseptic.

Or you can drink it.

Only a few drugs properly stop working with alcohol.

In terms of antibiotics the one that you aren't suppose to take alcohol with makes you sick if you do.

I remember being prescribed it for wisdom teeth removal when I was a student. I worked out the course went over the weekend so I didn't take them......
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Only a few drugs properly stop working with alcohol
            Agreed, but in my humble experience (ahem!) the combination of Piriton and booze would put me to sleep for the whole weekend!

I wouldn't feel the itching I suppose, but at the price of not feeling anything at all !!

I had a glass of wine in a vineyard once after piriton, for the same reason as MS - I'd been bitten to ****. I lay down for five minutes and couldn't escape when moles were tunnelling up through the ground under me. Some of them tunnelled right through me, and my chest cavity was beset with mole-hills. It was a very tricky time, and I lost four hours of my life...

Comment

Had a 'duh' moment on the way home when I realised where the likely hiding place for the log book was - not in any of the diddy containers of course.
              Am I missing something here? Where was it?

No treat only a trick?
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

We use a little stick that smells of ammonia, and it works a treat normally.

Comment

Bicarb for bees, vinegar for vasps.
                  and wee for wee box jellyfish
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                    Am I missing something here? Where was it?

No treat only a trick?
                    I'm guessing it was in a pocket under the cache note on the lid of the box, or something similar. Previous logs mention "falling for it" - unfortunately I hadn't read them before I looked for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post

Worked like a charm - I was out like a light. Till about 2am when one or t'other wore off!

Comment

Working...
                      X