• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slaves

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: views

And I did do what I thought best for me dodgy...in not signing.

IBM certainly don't pay any more than the rest of the market, so its not like they are paying for the privelege of being able to cancel the contract early. If there was an extra £100/day on the rate, it might have been a different matter.

I simply question their blanket policy, and wonder why contractors in their right mind would sign on.

Comment

traders

> above?????

Yeah, Merc trader is above :rolleyes

Comment

Oi Dodgy...

...are you working from home for the duration?

Comment

Insight, you are right in your analysis of the situation. The problem is not the fact that you do not have a seven day notice clause, it is that the client has a seven day notice clause to get rid of you.

I have always found that if a contractor really wants to leave there is little that can (or should) be done to prevent it. This is because most contractors are quite professional in managing their departure. These clauses should only ever be invoked if a contractor does something very naughty . The fact that they are there is really a deterrence rather than anything else.

Comment

But why this obsession with tit for tat communistesque b*******?
            Why this obsession on the other side to have "unbalanced" clause's in the contracts?
            I have always found that if a contractor really wants to leave there is little that can (or should) be done to prevent it.
            Fully agree, nothing should be done to prevent it, nothing more "dangerous" than having someone there "under duress" but there is nothing stopping the client suing the contractor afterwords for "breach of contract" if they feel like it.

Thus it has always been my policy and always will be when i see imbalanced termination clause's, of not signing. If they want me to "commit" they better be willing to do so to the same degree otherwise i am forced to question their "good faith"

Comment

'I simply question their blanket policy, and wonder why contractors in their right mind would sign on.'

well I didnt question it and I signed on. I had a couple of lucrative contracts, no animosity and a big ****-off name on my cv twice. Loads of good references a couple of mates. I also terminated a contract with good will because it 'wasnt me'.

Plus I was in my right mind(last time I checked my orbital mind control laser console )

Comment

If you really want to go, simply advertise in a Mumbai newspaper for a Senior Technical Architect with 15 years C# or J2EE experience for about $5 an hour..... im sure the client will love the opportunity to get rid of you if you offer to lower your fee by 75% and find a replacement who rivals Einstein in his intellectual capacity, with degrees from 30 world-renowned universities by the age of 21.

P.S Ive worked for people who sell Business Machines, and been an Associate Principal Consultant (barf!) for a Seattle based company.... both the same - they flouted the law in the hope no-one would challenge them. For example 'I need 3 months notice if you want to book a holiday' and 'you cant work for a client of ours for 2 years after you leave'.

They might actually turn out to be a good employer - every team / manager is different - but, if they mess you around, then reciprocate - get another job, say you have a one month notice period, and completely @#%$ up the company that is screwing you by simply not working to the best of your abilities.

Is that unprofessional? No. Its returning the favour to the company that is wasting your talents, to enable you to make use of them elsewhere.

And if you think any of your managers got where they are without screwing their staff, you are either 1) a newbie or 2) you should send me their contact details. I need to warn them they will be sacked soon.

Comment

There are an awful lot of egos that do not accept the servitude concept of supply and demand. Fine you are free to negotiate whatever contract you like. However you are not the ones paying the money it is the clients that are paying you. It is no wonder so much work is pouring out of the Uk and into China and India.
                  but, if they mess you around, then reciprocate - get another job, say you have a one month notice period, and completely @#%$ up the company that is screwing you by simply not working to the best of your abilities
                  This attitude is called sulking. "messing you around" in who's opinion. This is an entirely subjective concept. If you have a problem then sort iy out. "not working to your best ability" is pathetic sulky behaviour.

Comment

It is no wonder so much work is pouring out of the Uk and into China and India.
                    Purely for economic reasons, not for the lack of a servitude mentality!

Comment

Similar thread

Interesting topic of conversation, i find myself in a similar predicament. I am now one and a half weeks into a contract that is with computer people, i have only just received the hard copy of the contract and it has the same clauses as mentioned earlier, i.e no termination by me, 7 days by the client and £500 early termination.
                      I am (i think) about to be offered a very good permanent role that i would be more tham follish to deny and this contract is fairly low paid and only for 3 months. My question is this, if i did not sign the contract, am i entitled to ask for pay for the work i have undertaken, assuming they will not negotiate the terms of the contract to allow me a notice period.
                      I am aware that their are some people that feel if i agree to a 3 month contract i should just stick to it, to which i would say, that's fine but would you castigate a permanent employee that decides they wish to switch to another role or employee the same way? They, after all, always get a notice period, why should we be different?

Comment

Working...
                      X