• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who on here had a 'Coffee Shop' Plan B?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who on here had a 'Coffee Shop' Plan B?

I've potentially got an opportunity to invest in an ailing business for the right money which I think I could turn around with good results. Current owners have 'chavved' it up a bit and focus on the wrong type of customers in my opinion. It's based on a Cafe / Coffee shop and IIRC someone on here had a plan B coffee shop.

Looking for any tips or real world experiences from you to add to my own research to make an informed decision. Particularly as the location isn't 'town centre' and would rely upon local community and some passing trade. It already has a licence and was thinking about opening later on Friday / Saturday and promote it as a trendy Cafe / Bar type of establishment.

Any advice welcomed!

Thanks

Sounds like a potential mug's game to me, in the present economic climate, and with the fierce competition from the big boys like Starbucks and even supermarkets these days. But I suppose it depends on the coffee shop's location and prices.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

With the right strategy it could be a good venture, things like WiFi are a must as when I've visited a coffee shop I tend to stay longer and drink more if I can hook up my tablet or laptop. Also if you can encourage local mums and toddlers to frequent your establishment it could be a winner.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

As a consumer, a proper independent coffee shop which offers far higher quality than the chains always has appeal
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

What makes me laugh with teh coffee shop thing is the lack of thought and effort some people put in. A few have popped up on one of the main roads in to Manchester in the last few months. Looks like two of them have young ladies running them. Very commendable but how on earth do they think converting a shut down shop on a main road that doesn't have parking for half a mile either way with at least 2 other coffee shops/cafe's in sight is going to work?

Opening one is easy, making it in to a business is a whole different kettle of fish. Unless you are going to make it different, maybe super posh or something it's a waste of time.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It could make money but I would see a coffee shop as a business you have to work/live in, I don't think there's enough money to pay back an investor.

If you were thinking of making it your job then I think it's quite appealing if the area's OK but you're not going to get rich!
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              What makes me laugh with teh coffee shop thing is the lack of thought and effort some people put in. A few have popped up on one of the main roads in to Manchester in the last few months. Looks like two of them have young ladies running them. Very commendable but how on earth do they think converting a shut down shop on a main road that doesn't have parking for half a mile either way with at least 2 other coffee shops/cafe's in sight is going to work?

Opening one is easy, making it in to a business is a whole different kettle of fish. Unless you are going to make it different, maybe super posh or something it's a waste of time.
              Perversely the best place for a coffee shop is where the other coffee shops are.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

This is my favourite coffee place in the centre of Cardiff

Some clothes with your coffee? « Cardiff Coffee

It is pretty unique, thing is as it's in an Arcade it wasn't very visible but they got around this by handing out loyalty cards which gave 20% off, a really good idea to get people in and the place is always packed now.
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

I recall reading somewhere that new business started in a recession have a lower failure rate than those started during boom times. Probably the lack of availability of credit weeds out the weaker business plans immediately.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The market to go for is mum's with babies and selling cupcakes it would seem.

People will part £1.50 for a frosted cup cake that cost pennies to produce. Lots of ikea high chairs, decent changing area, lots of homemade cakes, soup, sandwiches, salads and a kids menu and you're laughing.

Bright, clean and friendly is what the family look for.

Place I went to recently had a cupcake rota showing which days the various flavours would be available. Seemed pretty cool.
                    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Working...
                    X