• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone commuted Motorway M1 to Halifax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone commuted Motorway M1 to Halifax?

I just wondered if anyone had commuted from the M1 along the M62 to Halifax at all?

I've got the possisbility of a new gig in Halifax but the potential commute is putting me off. My present gig is in Leeds city centre and i travel up from Sheffield by car everyday and it proabably takes just short of an hour on a clear run. It can be a ball ache if traffic is bad but i'm used to it now, however Halifax is probably about another 10 miles further and going along M62 which i'm not really familiar with

I'm trying to get an idea of how long it would take from the M1 into Halifax

Ta

M62 is restricted to 50 while they do roadworks all along that section (ie from the M1/62 junction all the way to Halifax). So it's gonna be a pain.

Depending where you're from in Sheffield - there's the option of the Stocksbridge bypass into Huddersfield and then over Ainley Top, but you've gotta be up early for that to be worthwhile.

I've worked in Halifax with people from Sheff who have used both routes, both were there early and left early which might not suit, esp for a contractor. In summary, it's do-able, but it'll be a pain.

Editing to say; about 45 minutes from the M1. 20 mins on motorway, 25 to Hx. Presuming it's central Halifax and not the Copley data centre?
    Last edited by barrydidit; 8 November 2012, 08:32.

Comment

I've tried without any joy of getting in there. Instead of driving the 20 miles from home to halifax I have to get up at 4am each monday to get the train down to London.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Cheers for the reply

balls that sounds like a pain i think its pretty much city centre (well not far from train station)

I'm south side of Sheffield so i come onto the M1 at Jct 30. Getting the train would be a pain also as its 25mins into Sheffield including parking and then train up to leeds then change there to Bradford

hmmm need to have a think some more

Comment

Sounds like it's at Trinity road then, 5 minutes walk from the station. Or from one side of the 'city centre' to the other...

Only sensible option I can think of is to see if they're amenable to a couple of days WFH a week, and then be prepared for a few long days midweek? I wouldn't fancy either the drive or the train, but if i needed the gig....

Comment

Come off at 37. Travel early.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

If you're planning on starting at 9 then you'll hit big problems / tailbacks coming into Halifax on a 3 weekly basis . Or should I say, I did when I did this trip from Harrogate a few years back.

I ended up geting the train from Leeds 8:08 to 8:45 or something, the train station is quite close to everything.

I must learn to read properly though, as you're coming from Sheffield and I read Leeds for some reason.

Comment

Sounds like a right PITA tbh

At the minute i leave at 6.45am and get to the office in Leeds city centre for 8am (with a 10 min walk from parking to office) which is doable and i've been doing it for the past 16 months.

but this additional bit sounds horrific tbh

might have to see about working from home as a possibility if they're keen on me.

Comment

It is a real PITA.

If you are working in the mills, there is a Travelinn at very cheap prices, around 20-30 a night.

Mills also have a good Fitness First.

Enjoy the mill......

Comment

What agencies are the best for checking in with for roles here? As I said, I live 20 miles from halifax, so as a location its fine for me.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X