• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quitting a contract for the first time in 6 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yep. Maybe my experience in Agile projects is making it impossible to work in a waterfall environment. Perhaps it's just too big a leap back in time.
    Open up your andoid phone
    Download the app called poopsalary
    Enter your hourly rate in the app
    Start the app
    Go to the toilet
    Evacuate 1kg waste
    Recover and wipe sweat off forehead
    Exit toilet
    Go back to little desk
    Stop app
    Check result
    Smile
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        Believe it or not, you're making my point for me. This place is full of people who can give a long list of excuses for not doing anything, but nobody who actually wants to get the system up and running. Personally, I have made enough money this year to not need work for several months, and I'd be quite happy to spend a few months training in the gym and pissing around on bikes at the velodrome; I might just go and do that, and if some other contract comes along that looks OK, I'll consider it.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Haven't sent one yet; first one this evening. That's why I need to wait a little while.
          get your invoice paid and you might feel better about it all

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You are on a slippery slope!! One contract today, name change to NWPerm2Contractor tomorrow!!! beware
            Harsh!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Believe it or not, you're making my point for me. This place is full of people who can give a long list of excuses for not doing anything, but nobody who actually wants to get the system up and running. Personally, I have made enough money this year to not need work for several months, and I'd be quite happy to spend a few months training in the gym and pissing around on bikes at the velodrome; I might just go and do that, and if some other contract comes along that looks OK, I'll consider it.
              Same with present clientco. I am completely constrained by the deployment process & the fact that the people doing the development, deployment and adminstration are so hopeless and lazy that effectively it looks like I will fail to deliver on this project & to boot not get a renewal. 7 weeks ago I had the entire requirements documented to a level of detail they had never seen before.

They immediately descoped, descoped, descoped to which there were only four simple functional changes to make. I did a POC on all four 4 weeks ago on a sandbox using their PAAS.
              With an estimate of no more than one man to do the four items, I am sat at home again today with nothing to test as they have failed to deliver yet again. To make it worse, the head developer stops at evey single question, preferring to completely stop sending me an email saying 'I think it's X but you need to make the decision, so I have stopped'. The guy has absolutely no fricking idea on how joins work in a database. This has gone on for 3 weeks and so far he has done 2 hours worth of work (I imagine it's longer). I cannot by pass the process & because it's cloud infrastructure I cannot even configure another server and say 'fook you' & deploy a shadow BI system.

I've just POC'd the work I've waited for, for 4 weeks. Lo and behold, he's set the initial configuration table up incorrectly, so when he does get around to finishing it 'later today' I expect to see an email asking 'Is this it then?' because he is truly that thick.

Escalation email methinks.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Same with present clientco. I am completely constrained by the deployment process & the fact that the people doing the development, deployment and adminstration are so hopeless and lazy that effectively it looks like I will fail to deliver on this project & to boot not get a renewal. 7 weeks ago I had the entire requirements documented to a level of detail they had never seen before.

They immediately descoped, descoped, descoped to which there were only four simple functional changes to make. I did a POC on all four 4 weeks ago on a sandbox using their PAAS.
                With an estimate of no more than one man to do the four items, I am sat at home again today with nothing to test as they have failed to deliver yet again. To make it worse, the head developer stops at evey single question, preferring to completely stop sending me an email saying 'I think it's X but you need to make the decision, so I have stopped'. The guy has absolutely no fricking idea on how joins work in a database. This has gone on for 3 weeks and so far he has done 2 hours worth of work (I imagine it's longer). I cannot by pass the process & because it's cloud infrastructure I cannot even configure another server and say 'fook you' & deploy a shadow BI system.

I've just POC'd the work I've waited for, for 4 weeks. Lo and behold, he's set the initial configuration table up incorrectly, so when he does get around to finishing it 'later today' I expect to see an email asking 'Is this it then?' because he is truly that thick.

Escalation email methinks.
                I've just spent a week convincing the PM that a sandbox is a worthwhile idea; all he's been saying is 'yes but then we risk getting blamed if something is wrong with it'. My position; 'yes, we risk getting blamed. We ALWAYS risk getting blamed. The only way to avoid the risk of getting blamed when projects go wrong is to go and sign on the dole; and then we get blamed for being parasites living off the state.' The man needs to grow a pair.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You remind me of myself; if I can dare be so cocky to assume so.

I'm guessing you're not money motivated and remain passionate about your work.

That puts us in the minority.

I'd quit too, especially given your sterling history.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                    You remind me of myself; if I can dare be so cocky to assume so.

I'm guessing you're not money motivated and remain passionate about your work.

That puts us in the minority.

I'd quit too, especially given your sterling history.
                    Surely, he'll get paid in Euros ?
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I have hated one place I worked at, it was back when I was a permie. I was marked down in my appraisal for not fixing a bug. The bug was caused by rounding a number down ... it was not a bug it was the law of ******* maths.

Manager could not understand and insisted it was a bug and blamed me for having 'poor problem solving ability'. I wrote examples using numbers less than 10 and he honestly did not understand it, his manager was spineless and did nothing. My wife was genuinely concerned I was on the brink of depression and phoned some old friends and asked them to come over now and then to cheer me up.

The guarantees I made myself when I began contracting is that I will never:

Be in a position where someone can bully and walk all over me
                      Let work make me feel that way again.

I would leave the place ASAP. If it is bothering you then it is only going to get worse.
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X