• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a few grand I've been playing with in my ISA - without really having a clue what I'm doing I've made a few quid.

One of my dubious tactics is to look at shares that have dropped a lot in anticipation that what goes down must surely come up.

Today's 'biggest loser' is Johnson Press (JPR) which is a whopping -70%.

The shares are showing as ex-rights - what does that mean? (I have googled, but none the wiser...)

Worth a punt?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      The shares are showing as ex-rights - what does that mean? (I have googled, but none the wiser...)
      It means the shares had some sort of right attached to them that made them worth more (usually the right to buy more shares at a discount if they were issuing more shares). The 70% drop is probably due to them being worth less now those rights have expired, though they might have overshot a bit as they were sold.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        It means the shares had some sort of right attached to them that made them worth more (usually the right to buy more shares at a discount if they were issuing more shares). The 70% drop is probably due to them being worth less now those rights have expired, though they might have overshot a bit as they were sold.
        What's that mean?

Comment

What's that mean?
          It means that the volume of people wanting to sell up to realise their profits from buying into the rights issue (might have) pushed the price a bit lower than it the shares are actually worth.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Got a few grand I've been playing with in my ISA - without really having a clue what I'm doing I've made a few quid.

One of my dubious tactics is to look at shares that have dropped a lot in anticipation that what goes down must surely come up.

Worth a punt?
            All share holders had the "right" to but new shares at a discount rate of 3p a share, once this was vested the actual share price would have adjusted to take account of the new shares being created at the lower price
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Worth a punt?
              Whatalltherestsaid....

You can indeed make a profit on a falling market but it's scary.

Best idiot guide I read was Millard on Stocks and Shares Simplified Millard Onà: Amazon.co.uk: Brian J. Millard: Books Still available and less than 15 quid, the cost of one trade Most of the examples seem contrived with hindsight but they are pretty useful in helping to understand the mechanics - it's very good in teaching you moving averages and general buy/sell signals.

Comment

Way of the turtle book:
                Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods that Turned Ordinary People into Legendary Traders: Amazon.co.uk: Curtis Faith: Books

Brilliant book. Reading it I learned much about my previous and at the time current mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
                  Way of the turtle book:
                  Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods that Turned Ordinary People into Legendary Traders: Amazon.co.uk: Curtis Faith: Books

Brilliant book. Reading it I learned much about my previous and at the time current mistakes.
                  Are you now a legendary trader though?

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                    Got loads of legacy active-managed funds, which I am not adding to (high mgmt costs = not a good idea)
                    Got a HYP with about 15 obvious contenders in a SIPP.
                    Most current and future money will be dripped into lowest cost US general and UK income trackers(vanguard do an income one I am looking at starting with a chun on the next market dip).
                    With occasional dips into emerging market and other Investment Trusts - very different from OEIC and individual shares.
                    This should be the same for most on here but if you want some excitement, suggest you reserve 10% for dabbling in small oil shares etc
                    Gets quite addictive seeing those dividends coming in - got FCPT too which pays every month.
                    This IS my plan B + warchest, more I find out, more interested I get - start with fool.co.uk.
                    I'm guessing the HYP SIPP is your best performer?

I've become a firm believer in High-Yield, Long Term Buy and Hold, as advocated by stephen Bland on Motley Fool (TMFPYAD). sit back and watch compound interest work its magic. After a few 'tweaks' that went pear-shaped, I am now strictly no-tinkering. Buy quality high-yielding blue-chips and hang on to them. According to Google Finance this approach has given me a 31% gain over the last 12 mths on my SIPP. Now about 12 of that 31% is money I've dropped in, but the rest is dividends and capital growth, far more than I could have got trying to time the market, it also suits my passive (lazy) investment style.

That said, one advantage of my great age is that as a SAGA customer I got free shares in the recent IPO :-)
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

I am still managing my SIPP with shares rather than just sticking them in funds, overall value is up 24.58% with a yield of 4.62% which I am more than happy with, am slowly bringing down my stake in LLOY from near 30% to 24% with a long term plan of getting it down to about 15% with the next sell off when the shares reach 85p, or after the first dividend payment is resumed which ever is first.

Big winners:

LLOY + 76%
                      RMG + 57%
                      AV + 54% (+62% with dividends)
                      FGP + 24%

Only losses are

TSCO - 20% (-13% with dividends)
                      BBY - 14% (-6% with dividends)

Looking at SGRO, MARS and DLAR in my next round of purchases
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X