• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So anyone brave enough for Carillion?

Hedge funds bag £80m on huge crash in construction giant Carillion's share price | City A.M.

Got to close those shorts some time
    I carry some cash in the portfolio to take advantage of opportunities like this - quick in and out - the rule being that the market always over-reacts to good or bad news, and there's money to be made on the rebound.

But the removal of dividends and the debt mountain put me off this one, and indeed the price is still sliding as I speak. If it hits 60 (completely arbitrary number), I might reconsider …

Carillion looks like it's trying to bail out a supertanker with a soup spoon
    Carillion: shares lose more than half value, huge levels debt - Business Insider
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Agree. Been watching Carillion, thinking we may get a bounce. To be honest I cannot see it. Everything that could go wrong, has. The CEO has bailed and Philip Green is a Non Exec on the board. That last bit put me off.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

BBC NEWS | Business | Market Data | Share Prices | London Stock Exchange LSE | Carillion CLLN

Getting closer to 60p, now 62.

(Update, hit 58)

Comment

Bounced off 70. He who dares Rodney, he who dares.

Comment

Just announced they've been awarded the contract to build a big chunk of HS2, so I bought a chunk, and it immediately fell.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Haven't got a clue. I tend to put my faith in the likes of Hargreaves Lansdowne and assume they know what they are doing. Mind you, I have checked the balance of funds and it's not out of line with other advice. Includes Asian, Japanese and European which are supposedly best bet at mo.

Where to invest if you're scared of putting cash into record-high markets 

Like also to put some in global real estate investment trusts (Reits).
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Agree. Been watching Carillion, thinking we may get a bounce. To be honest I cannot see it. Everything that could go wrong, has. The CEO has bailed and Philip Green is a Non Exec on the board. That last bit put me off.
                So you only bought £10k worth?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  So you only bought £10k worth?
                  I only do in multiples of ten.

Comment

£10 worth then?
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                      £10 worth then?
                      1200 up. Happy with that and closed.

Comment

Working...
                      X