• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My basic approach is to buy shares paying a chunky dividend and hang on to them. I've acquired a decent holding in LLOY this way. I was tempted to divest in the crash when the price tanked and dividends stopped, but the 'no-tinkering' rule prevailed. A good thing too.

My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

markets continuing to soar

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Fill yer boots! Stock markets only ever go up! Safe as equities, me ISA is me pension guv.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Bubble has to come soon, at this rate I could actually retire
          Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

The markets love Trump and Brexit: a consolation prize for those of us who don't. My 4 portfolios up between 24 and 35% since last November.

The nominal £10,000 invested in my sample LTBH HYP in Feb 2016 would now be worth £12,000.

I have retired.
            My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Petrofac. Fill your boots.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Yup markets looking good, though I think they've now plateaued.

Waiting for a correction, to pile in with more cash.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

What platform do you all use for this? I'd like to start as up until now I've just been using Plus500 and made a good amount but its all short term trading and I'd like to do long term trades. Are you using brokers or portfolios you manage yourself? Any pointer to guides on 'how to' would be appreciated especially to understand the dividends you talk about.
                  TIA!

Comment

Originally posted by llcoolam View Post
                    What platform do you all use for this? I'd like to start as up until now I've just been using Plus500 and made a good amount but its all short term trading and I'd like to do long term trades. Are you using brokers or portfolios you manage yourself? Any pointer to guides on 'how to' would be appreciated especially to understand the dividends you talk about.
                    TIA!
                    People are going to shout Hargreaves-Lansdown at you. Ignore them, they are fools. Huge service fees which eat into your SIPP (self invested personal pension) pot, stocks and shares ISA or share-dealing account.

There are numerous others who are cheap and work fine. You can do your own fund/share research on many other websites. Halifax iWeb seems decent and has plenty of users. Interface has just been revamped.

Check out the pricing and then compare your own expected number of trading costs and service fees with Hargreaves-Lansdown. You won't choose the latter, if you can use a calculator and scale over the years.

Final note: stock markets have never been this high, yet the major economies are, in reality, performing awfully. Company P/E (profits to earnings) ratios are sky high. Do NOT invest right now. Await the crash. That's my advice.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
                      People are going to shout Hargreaves-Lansdown at you. Ignore them, they are fools. Huge service fees which eat into your SIPP (self invested personal pension) pot, stocks and shares ISA or share-dealing account.

There are numerous others who are cheap and work fine. You can do your own fund/share research on many other websites. Halifax iWeb seems decent and has plenty of users. Interface has just been revamped.

Check out the pricing and then compare your own expected number of trading costs and service fees with Hargreaves-Lansdown. You won't choose the latter, if you can use a calculator and scale over the years.

Final note: stock markets have never been this high, yet the major economies are, in reality, performing awfully. Company P/E (profits to earnings) ratios are sky high. Do NOT invest right now. Await the crash. That's my advice.
                      If you only buy funds then yes HL is very expensive, if however you only but stocks and shares the management fee is a maximum of £200 a year
                      Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

Working...
                      X