• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    No, putting cash to work.
    Ok, in this case you are not a dirty spekulant.

... just a mug whose cash that puts bottles of Crystal onto tables of dirty spekulants

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Are you using any leverage in buying those shares, ie marginal trade?
      Never have, never will. Even at today's rates I concur with W. Buffett.

We don't do debt. If you're smart you don't need it, if you're dumb its dangerous.
      (Or something like that)
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

And I'm blue on Glencore
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          And I'm blue on Glencore
          Lucky me, I bought glencore few years ago when they were 500+

Comment

And I'm blue on Glencore
            Now the question is was it luck or skill?

Or do you not differentiate
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

And I'm blue on Glencore
              Do you think they could go under due to huge debt levels ?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                Not with the global money printing. Run out of money, just borrow some freshly printed trillions. Nothing can fail with the magic money press.

Zombie companies that should have died, but cost of borrowing is so low and so easy, they persist forever.

Japan counts ‘zombie’ cost of easy money - FT.com

Comment

FTSE has formed a green weekly candle.
                  is it safe to go back in the water?
                  any good ftse etf ?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    Mining companies always have a high debt to equity ration, but Gelncore's is higher than most of ots industry peers (GLEN 1.11, RIO 0.59, AA 0.86) which is why they are screwing their shareholders by diluting the share value to pay down some of the debt, hoping long term saved interest repayments will stop them getting in to further debt while the commodity price is low.
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

It seems most people on here have a buy and hold, HYP style of strategy and I suspect several are strongly influenced by the Motley Fool. This seems a good approach so far and I suspect I will stick with it. I put all of my odds & sods of pension funds into a SIPP at the end of 2013 which came to £140k and I'm currently sitting on £152k with a couple of small drawdowns. It's definitely the dividends that make the difference, £5.7k this year so far.

It is important to look at diversifying across sectors. Looking at my shares that have done badly this year they are all related to the oil price collapse, Shell, Weir, ITE, and United Utilities have all suffered from it and yet 12 months ago I was confident the only way was up for prices of a finite resource.

Most of my big gains are related to the housing market, Berkley, Rightmove, Persimmon. As the UK population is forcast to grow via immigration etc up to 2020 and housebuilding never keeping up with demand because government never give the builders a free rein I can only see prices going up in the short to medium term.

My most stupid buy was Tesco, I knew Aldi and Lidl were having a big impact but I was looking for a solid dividend payer in the sector and Tesco looked cheap. They have steadily dropped since I bought them and drastically reduced the dividend.

Anyone having success with a different strategy? looking at the first two posts Oil and Tesco were popular in 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X