• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS 'Computer Glitch'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They need to call sasguru to sort it all out

Comment

I worked for another big Edinburgh financial who lost the source code for a core pricing process system which was developed in the 70s, I found a document which basically said "we really don't know how it works there is no code and no documentation but it works and if it fails we are totally fecked."

Comment

https://twitter.com/#!/search/natwest

helpful banking!

Comment

I like all the idiots claiming they should magically be allowed £35/day since that's what they're charged for being overdrawn. You pay fees based on the T&C you sign up for, the bank has similar rules guiding what it has to do. However I wouldn't be surprised if they did offer above what was needed to try and avoid losing millions of customers... or if someone organised a class action suit (do we have those here).
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It doesn't matter a damn who wrote the code, the people testing and reviewing and managing deployment/backup and emergency scenarios are the ones who are to blame and I very much doubt those roles are all off-shored.
            All code has bugs - Bobcode might be more buggy but eventually even a team of ace developers will drop clangers. And even if the bugs don't get detected, not having adequate disaster recovery can't really be blamed on Bob.

To automatically suggest a major problem is down to offshore devs is borderline racist really.
            Well, it depends what "bob" means. To me, it means offshoring to India. This is normally done without proper controls or understanding of the cultural divide, which exacerbates information loss every time there is communication between teams. I've been in the business now for well over 20 years, and I've stuff happen because of offshoring to India that never happened before offshoring. I say India, because offshoring to Poland, for example, is a much smoother exercise - though not without peril.

So I disagree that it is racist. It is NOT Bob's fault, it's the whole practice of bobbing.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It doesn't matter a damn who wrote the code, the people testing and reviewing and managing deployment/backup and emergency scenarios are the ones who are to blame and I very much doubt those roles are all off-shored.
              All code has bugs - Bobcode might be more buggy but eventually even a team of ace developers will drop clangers. And even if the bugs don't get detected, not having adequate disaster recovery can't really be blamed on Bob.

To automatically suggest a major problem is down to offshore devs is borderline racist really.
              WHS, Dev's (Bob or native) should not be blamed for this, I would imagine the Release Manager would be dusting off their CV rather any code monkeys
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                If you bank with Natwest, I feel bad for you son, you got 99 pound and you can't withdraw one
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I would suspect that they locked the doors to some of the offices and told the staff they were not leaving until fix is done, going to be a lot of people strung out, heads fried after the 90th coffee, working on this.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I would suspect that they locked the doors to some of the offices and told the staff they were not leaving until fix is done, going to be a lot of people strung out, heads fried after the 90th coffee, working on this.
                    Reminds me of the games industry.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      WHS, Dev's (Bob or native) should not be blamed for this, I would imagine the Release Manager would be dusting off their CV rather any code monkeys
                      They probably got a new BPM manager who thought he could code as well
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X