• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS 'Computer Glitch'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    From the always accurate and reliable wikipedia

Does this really fit into the description of a 'glitch'?

Is there no better word or phrase in the English language?
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Outsourcing error?
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Justice?
    Total ****-up.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      Did you test that link?

Bullseye!
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Yep, and add to that testing 'methodologies' and project managers that turn testing into an exercise of demonstrating that the software will do what you want it do do if the user or maintenance chappy follows the manual precisely. Trouble is, people don't follow manuals precisely and users often have to deal with cases that don't fit the standard business process. No amount of shouting 'RTFM' will ever change that. Good exploratory testing of the kind that James Bach proposes involves going further and trying to show that software will do something you absolutely DON'T want it to do using steps that are accessible to users or other applications. Then you get the problem of some PM saying 'oh but a normal user would never do that'. Great, but there is no such thing as a 'normal user'.

Mind you, I think TM knows all this already.
        My current test methodology is Jim X who used to work on a particular off-shore platform.

Rumour had it that he had opposable thumbs but we were never sure. What we do know was that he was a two finger typist who would try everything to avoid doing real work and because of that generated the weirdest workflows and bugs that you could imagine.

He forced us to start doing explorative testing but the cheapest way of doing that was to get my children to do it. payment £1 per bug provided you show me how you did it.

The end result was £10 in their pocket and £2500 of invoicing for me.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          My current test methodology is Jim X who used to work on a particular off-shore platform.

Rumour had it that he had opposable thumbs but we were never sure. What we do know was that he was a two finger typist who would try everything to avoid doing real work and because of that generated the weirdest workflows and bugs that you could imagine.

He forced us to start doing explorative testing but the cheapest way of doing that was to get my children to do it. payment £1 per bug provided you show me how you did it.

The end result was £10 in their pocket and £2500 of invoicing for me.
          He obviously didn't execute or explain 'exploratory testing' very well. Never mind, a bit less competition for those of us who can.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Blame pointed at a failed CA-7 update

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Dunno what it's like now with banks unwilling to lend, but keeping a small mortgage going was also a good way of raising cash from your equity for unexpected events, at a much better rate than personal loans or credit cards. You can always knock the mortgage back down when funds permit.
              To be honest I still have an offset mortgage account but there is no loaned money against the account.

If push came to shove I could access £100,000 at the click of two buttons.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                To automatically suggest a major problem is down to offshore devs is borderline racist really.
                Not to anyone that has any experience in handling the tulip that they throw out in the name of code...

In my time around them I have seen dev-bob practically KILL a full spec HP super dome using cognos and no business sense. (their honest opinion was we needed a bigger box....)

I have seen Java code that was supposed to be part of a set of weblogic deployed apps bypassing the whole ******* ESB and crafting their own hard coded ODBC connections ignoring the the connection pool completely... (code that was just pasted in from google to make matters worse...)

I have seen bobs destroy entire servers because the idea that one might understand that backing up a database needs more than just letting net backup take a copy of the database files while they were in full use...

I have also seen what happens when they try to free up space on a server by wandering into the transaction logs folder and getting rid of all those pesky log files

I have seen reports back from 300 servers that were supposed to be built by automation come back full of discrepancies because the company building them couldn't drive the deployment tool so got some bobs in over a weekend....

Bobs are at best a nuisance and at worst total ******* chaos... It has nothing to do with the colour of their skin and everything to do with their random "****itletsthrowmudatthewallandwatchwhatsticks " method of working. This is my opinion of them after 10 years working with them. and it is also the opinion of pretty much every UK born indian I have worked with. In fact many of the UK indians have an even worse attitude towards them as they feel tarred with the same brush...

Comment

Just had the following email:

We know that our current technical issues may still be impacting a number of our customers as we work to clear the backlog.

To make it easier for our customers experiencing difficulties accessing cash we have made the following arrangements. All our current account customers who have an RBS, NatWest or Mint credit card in good order can now:

* Withdraw up to an additional £100 over their limit on their credit card, with over-limit fees or charges automatically waived or refunded

* For Cash withdrawals on their card, cash advance fees as well as one month's worth of interest on the transaction will be waived or refunded
                  For all current account customers we will:

Automatically waive or refund overdraft fees and charges on current accounts for customers who have been impacted
                  We are making these commitments today and there is no requirement for any customer to take further action to benefit from these changes.

We appreciate this has caused an unacceptable level of inconvenience, and to help further we are again extending opening hours in over 900 NatWest branches from 8am until 7pm today.

For further support, please call us on either 0161 931 9959, 08457 77 77 66 or 0800 656 9639. Alternatively, for the latest information and answers to common questions please visit natwest.com
                  I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    It all seems to bring back memories of the tiny untested code change at AT&T that brought down the entire eastern telephone network.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
                      Just had the following email:

As a shareholder in RBS I am appalled at this largesse with my money.

Comment

Working...
                      X