• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strategies for working with Off-shore testers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a decent on-shore test manager to handle them. The only time offshore testers have ever been bearable for me have been when there's been someone to supervise their testing, filter the nonsense they raise and generally give them a b0ll0cking when they need it.

Comment

It's not worth the hassle I find.

Used to work with a bunch of offshore testers and would do stuff like change the character encoding in IE then raise a JIRA for each page in the site. I am sure they got paid by the JIRA raised.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
        Get a decent on-shore test manager to handle them.
        replace
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I need something to keep my sanity and be more productive with them.

Just when I think that I've been comprehensive (how many ways can you enter a name FFS?) they come back with a slightly different question on a theme.

Now for the purposes of this thread I'm assuming I'm the one at fault here.

So, how do I work with testers that will help them be more productive and help save my sanity??
          Are you sure you are cut out for contracting?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Which means spending more time and money on design that it would have cost to just code and test on location. Why do people keep falling for this offshoring con?
            Because a financial director or manager will get a huge bonus for saving money on paper; he can then bug off to another job. It will take years for management to reverse the policy.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              replace
              +1
              one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Because a financial director or manager will get a huge bonus for saving money on paper; he can then bug off to another job. It will take years for management to reverse the policy.
                Good idea; Financial Directors and CFOs are expensive; I can replace them with an offshore team of students from Indian bookkeeping schools, providing 100 times as much bookkeeping and reporting capacity for less than half the price of a western CFO. Any takers?

Why not?
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I need something to keep my sanity and be more productive with them.

Just when I think that I've been comprehensive (how many ways can you enter a name FFS?) they come back with a slightly different question on a theme.

Now for the purposes of this thread I'm assuming I'm the one at fault here.

So, how do I work with testers that will help them be more productive and help save my sanity??
                  0% chance.
                  HTH
                  one day at a time

Comment

Sorry, been a bit busy this morning - not had a chance to read this yet.

Thanks to all (even those who asked 'Are you sure you're cut out for...?' )

+ve will be winging it's way later...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

My 2 cents, having worked with many offshore guys in the past 2 years .

Bbe very precise in your requirements - and be abrasive ; you'll probably get good results if you make it clear that you are management / authority.

Don't be afraid to openly blame / berate individuals in conference calls , as the people I've worked with respond very well to this. Praise seems to do little.

My experience with asian offshore people is they are hardworking and willing, but do not wish to take any responsibility, other than being TOLD what to do and when.

Comment

Working...
                      X