• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sun going into hibernation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Come on now, you're being a bit too obvious".

Sorry, DNU/S. what is too obvious?

Comment

Read the paper DP. The increase in the UHI effect on radiative imbalance is small, understood and well-accounted for.

Does Urban Heat Island effect exaggerate global warming trends?

While the increasing radiative imbalance caused by accumulating CO2 etc is also well-understood, and many times larger.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Also, the Politicians, busy with collecting golden goose eggs from all this, seem to assume that everybody thinks global warming is a bad thing.

Given that:
        1.The 'default' state of Earth's climate is ice age, and we are currently living in an interglacial - a brief 'holiday' between the last ice age and the next.

2.The heat-retaining blanket from the trace of CO2 in the atmosphere is all that stands between most of us and a frozen starving death.

Should we worry instead about what mankind is going to do when the fossil fuels finally run out?

Comment

1.The 'default' state of Earth's climate is ice age, and we are currently living in an interglacial - a brief 'holiday' between the last ice age and the next.
          Good. You're getting it. Almost.

Human civilisation has indeed flourished in a historically unusual interglacial period of climatic stability - the Holocene. It would have lasted tens of thousands of years longer, there is no prospect of a 'frozen starving death'.

Sadly, we blew it. Let us bypass the Daily Mail and go to the academic literature...

Earth's climate is remarkably sensitive to forcings, i.e. imposed changes of the planet's energy balance. Both fast and slow feedbacks turn out to be predominately positive. As a result, our climate has the potential for large rapid fluctuations. Indeed, the Earth, and the creatures struggling to exist on the planet, have been repeatedly whipsawed between climate states. No doubt this rough ride has driven progression of life via changing stresses, extinctions and species evolution. But civilization developed, and constructed extensive infrastructure, during a period of unusual climate stability, the Holocene, now almost 12 000 years in duration. That period is about to end.
          And not in a good way.

Climate change and trace gases Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society

Comment

Yeah you're right the temperature is swinging up and down like a yo yo

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Ah, the cherry-picked short period again. The paper was talking about variations on glacial timescales

Do you think we might have a teeny bit of a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                Ah, the cherry-picked short period again. The paper was talking about variations on glacial timescales

Yeah - those temperature increases seem to force up the CO2 levels
                All we need to do is decrease the earths temp and the CO2 should follow, thus saving the planet
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post

That's interesting because if you look on your graph there are numerous instances where the CO2 level is going down and the temperature at the same time is going up.

On closer inspection it would appear there is a lag i.e. the temperature goes up, but the CO2 levels seem to be following the curve down, before then following the curve upwards. Could it be that CO2 levels follow temperature? Is it possible that as the oceans warm that the dissolved CO2 is released ?

Just asking like, because if we go through a solar maximum and the earth warms isn't it possible that CO2 is released out of the oceans.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

You're asking a question of somebody who is indoctrinated.

Good at cutting-and-pasting from 'learned' works, but appears to have no opinion save that which has been fed to him by the MMGW propoganda machine.

The MMGW lobby already have all their answers ready, no matter what the climate actually does in the future, the culprit will always be man-made CO2 regardless ofwhat the question is..

Ready for another cut-and-paste diatribe about CO2 v. Temperature lag/lead?

Comment

But about 300 thousand years ago it looks like CO2 levels were higher than they are now..

I did not think we had huge amounts of industry and motor vehicles pumping out CO2 back then.

So where does it come from?

Comment

Working...
                      X