• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sun going into hibernation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Just the beginning.

December 21, 2012 is the end.
    Christmas is cancelled?

I hate Christmas.

Comment

Well, the Maunder Minimum did coincide with a sustained run of much colder weather, the jury is still out on whether it was just coincidence.

Of course, there wasn't as much man-made CO2 in the atmosphere then.

Nobody disputes that the climate is changing. The debate is about the proportion of the change that can be blamed on humanity. As ever, I suppose that the real answer is 'a mixture'.

Politicians always know the full answer to everything..immediately.

Comment

Here's a serious question for pjclarke.

Dark concrete, brick, tarmac etc absorb the suns energy and radiate it out as heat. Hence why cities are warmer than the surrouding countryside.

What if the small rise in global temperature is not about rising CO2 in the atmosphere since the industrial revolution, but simply massive increase in global population and increase in roads and buildings absorbing more of the suns energy compared to trees and grassland?

Well?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          What if the small rise in global temperature is not about rising CO2 in the atmosphere since the industrial revolution, but simply massive increase in global population and increase in roads and buildings absorbing more of the suns energy compared to trees and grassland?

Well?
          Sounds like a Google interview question... "what % of the Earth's surface is built up". I bet the answer is something ridiculously small like 0.001%.

KC - it's bad enough with BB and pj blithering on about climate, you're better out of it. Benefits makes for better bait.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Sounds like a Google interview question... "what % of the Earth's surface is built up". I bet the answer is something ridiculously small like 0.001%.

KC - it's bad enough with BB and pj blithering on about climate, you're better out of it. Benefits makes for better bait.
            0.001% is about the size of the temperature rises. I.e. fook all.

Comment

More blather.

Here is a serious answer.

Its called the Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect. The observed rise, by satellites, ships, buoys and ground stations, is global. Thus about 70% of it occurred over the oceans. No UHI there. In the land masses we have the wildernesses of Siberia, Central Australia, Antarctica, Alaska etc. No UHI there. In fact about 0.5% of global area is urban and some of the fastest-warming areas are in the above mentioned wildernesses. UHI was one of the phenomena studied by the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project and in a paper coauthored by Judith Curry, Blaster's favourite climatologist, they concluded that the UHI effect is negligible and the statistical corrections applied by the compilers of the various global temperature series to cater for it were legitimate and accurate.

http://berkeleyearth.org/pdf/berkeley-earth-uhi.pdf
              Last edited by pjclarke; 26 January 2012, 20:19.
              My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Wombles.

That is the true cause. Since the population of Wombles has declined since the 1970s there has been a signficant increase in CO2 emmissions and global warming.

I say we start a Save The Wombles campaign.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

"KC - it's bad enough with BB and pj blithering on about climate, you're better out of it. Benefits makes for better bait".

No need to be nasty. I just enjoy a reasoned debate with an intelligent man.

Debate is constructive and good...argument is destructive and bad.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                    Here is a serious answer.

Its called the Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect. The observed rise, by satellites, ships, buoys and ground stations, is global. Thus about 70% of it occurred over the oceans. No UHI there. In the land masses we have the wildernesses of Siberia, Central Australia, Antarctica, Alaska etc. No UHI there. In fact about 0.5% of global area is urban. UHI was one of the phenomena studied by the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project and in a paper coauthored by Judith Curry, Blaster's favourite climatologist, they concluded that the UHI effect is negligible and the statistical corrections applied by the compilers of the various global temperature series to cater for it were legitimate and accurate.

http://berkeleyearth.org/pdf/berkeley-earth-uhi.pdf
                    You didn't really answer my question. I'm talking about the globe as a whole warming due to more of the sun's radiation being absorbed and reflected as heat. What would happen if we painted the whole landmass black? The world would get very hot.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
                      "KC - it's bad enough with BB and pj blithering on about climate, you're better out of it. Benefits makes for better bait".

No need to be nasty. I just enjoy a reasoned debate with an intelligent man.

Debate is constructive and good...argument is destructive and bad.
                      Come on now, you're being a bit too obvious.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X