• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SOPA - anyone GAS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only the english language part of wikipedia is closing. So just find what you need on the french, german or spanish pages and run them through google translate
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      only the english language part of wikipedia is closing. So just find what you need on the french, german or spanish pages and run them through google translate
      You'd think with all those Hispanics, they would shut the Spanish one too.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Surprisingly, the French version is considerably superior to the English in one very important respect: it mentions me

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Surprisingly, the French version is considerably superior to the English in one very important respect: it mentions me
          I'm not sure it's still there, but the Finnish wiki used to have a link to a site I was working on.

It was a complete bugger to edit it when I changed the article's location, as I don't understand a word of Finnish.

I lost heart when they restored an older version from backups, so did a redirect at my end instead.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Even simpler:

Use Google's cached version of the English pages while offline.

[For those wondering where the 'cached' link is on Google, they've moved it into the instant preview pane, which is a pain.]
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              Even simpler:

Use Google's cached version of the English pages while offline.

[For those wondering where the 'cached' link is on Google, they've moved it into the instant preview pane, which is a pain.]
              They seem to be turning the whole of Google into a pain nowadays.

For Safari users: I Don’t Want to Be Counted, I Just Want Links
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                They seem to be turning the whole of Google into a pain nowadays.

For Safari users: I Don’t Want to Be Counted, I Just Want Links
                Hi! The extension you're linking to is bad, and doesn't handle Google Instant results.

Canisbos (a very talented Safari extension programmer) has now created a new extension that's a super-efficient subset of his full LinkThing extension.

The new extension only handles Google, and it does so in an extremely resource-light fashion, and with complete support for Google Instant results.

This is for anyone that just wants the right to more privacy and link control on Google. No longer will you have to visit a page just to be able to copy a clean URL. No longer will your Safari history be filled with non-sense "google.com/url?..." entries rather than the real page.

It even has the option of re-writing Google Images results to point directly to the image, if you want it to. That's available in the options. It's a fantastic extension, and is the best one in its field!

So, without further ado, go and download <mod note you can guess, can't you?>, the definitive word in getting rid of this Google annoyance!

Comment

Err, okay for some reason the moderator removed the link to the extension page, and didn't even keep the name, making it impossible to find out what the message was talking about.

To find the new extension, Google "canisbos gDirectLinks" and you will be able to find it. Not sure I can see the harm of posting the direct link? Especially since the thread was discussing the very subject of suitable extensions for solving this problem?

To mods: If it's okay, the direct link is once again: Mod reply:No, it's not OK.
                  Hope I've helped someone!
                  Last edited by cojak; 17 May 2012, 13:21. Reason: Some people to too thick-skinned for their own good.

Comment

Two
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Two
                      WE have a winner Ladies and Gentlemen!

Step up for your cuddly toy sonny (but don't pull that thread if you want the ears to stay on....)
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X