• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone near Taunton on the M5 last night?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Relax, I only drive as fast as I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.
    The problem with this kind of thing is that even if your reflexes are spot on, or you're driving at a safe speed and allowing plenty of space to stop, if the juggernaut behind you isn't, it ain't gonna do you much good.

One thing that did make me smile though- "A spokesman for frozen food retailer Iceland confirmed one of the firm's lorries had been involved in the crash." accompanied by this picture - no tulip sherlock!

Comment

Still haven't heard from a couple of people I know were driving in the area that evening. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they're ok.

I live in Yeovil, and we were still deciding on Friday evening whether to visit the Bridgwater carnival. Ended up not going and I'm thankful we stayed at home.

A former colleague was at the Taunton Rugby club and the display had finished about 10 minutes before the accident. They noticed a very thick patch of fog, heard a number of collisions and this was the result. A few minutes later the fog had completely gone. It's likely the smoke did mix with the fog, but the Rugby club itself is still a fair way from the motorway - there's a couple of fields and a train line so it had mostly dispersed by the time it got to the motorway.

The suspected cause is a small accident ahead of the main crash - two slightly damaged cars were stopped about 200 feet ahead of the accident. It's suspected one of the trucks came across them in the fog and swerved - unfortunately it looks like another vehicle was in the next lane and took evasive action, then a chain reaction.

None of the injured suffered any burns. It's said that anyone who was caught up in the fire itself didn't escape. I cannot think of a worse way to go. On top of the 7 confirmed dead it's suspected another 10-12 are yet to be removed from the wreckage. Very sadly it's mostly families.

A very sad time indeed and my thoughts are with the survivors, families and the emergency services.
      Discuss PDA/Smartphones
      Yeovil Town FC - the real green & whites

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        One thing that did make me smile though- "A spokesman for frozen food retailer Iceland confirmed one of the firm's lorries had been involved in the crash." accompanied by this picture - no tulip sherlock!

I'm sure there are some people wondering why the TNT truck didn't explode too.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by dazza12 View Post
          They noticed a very thick patch of fog, heard a number of collisions and this was the result. A few minutes later the fog had completely gone.
          It does sound like a moving fog bank was the primary reason for those not seeing the initial incident and piling into the back of it.

I was thinking about it last night and can't believe no-one has developed a means of providing a HUD on the car windscreen (that part is already available in some luxury models) using some form of radar to penetrate fog (or even darkness on unlit roads) and warn of unseen obstacles so this type of incident can be avoided.

Originally posted by dazza12 View Post
          It's said that anyone who was caught up in the fire itself didn't escape. I cannot think of a worse way to go. On top of the 7 confirmed dead it's suspected another 10-12 are yet to be removed from the wreckage.

It's been confirmed that no more bodies found so still stands at 7 dead.

Harrowing to think of the people trapped in their vehicles being consumed by fire. Some of the amateur footage taken from the opposite carriageway showed people trying to force open a car door, and that vehicle looks to be burnt out now.

Reminds me of this blog article I read recently, by a copper who attended an RTA that started out as a not too serious head on collision on a country road. Not a pleasant read but well written and gives a glimpse into what the people attending this crash will have had to deal with.

….and then there was silence | MinimumCover – The Police Officer Blog

Accounts such as these should be used to raise awareness, both in the dangers of driving and to build respect for the emergency services who have a very tough job to do, and may learn to be a little less selfish when confronted by closed roads or delays in their journey.

I'd go so far as saying this type of lesson would be valuable in senior school or while learning to drive, and may make some of the youngsters think twice before driving like dickheads.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

When I did my 'speed awareness' course, they showed a reconstruction (as in diagrammatic, not gory) of the 1991 M4 pile up which was a similar thing. It started of as a relatively small incident, but people with ploughing into the back it soon escalated. Two cars had pulled up just in front on the hard shoulder to help - one got wiped out by a later truck at which point the other just drove off (understandably). Remember particulary two trucks - the front had reportedly told the rear to "stay close" so he didn't get lost in the fog. The front stopped, the rear didn't, and sheared off the top of the front killing the driver. 10 died on that occasion.

Comment

It was obviously the fire that was the killer here, and that makes you wonder why more isn't done. Racing cars have automatic fire extinguishers that can flood the engine bay or cabin in foam, yet despite years of development of crumple zones and airbags, it doesn't seem to have occurred to anyone to fit the same to road cars. I have one of those small extinguishers in my boot, but few people do even that.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'd go so far as saying this type of lesson would be valuable in senior school or while learning to drive, and may make some of the youngsters think twice before driving like dickheads.
                How would you interpret these accident stats from the DoT showing age profiles?

HTML Code:
                		Male	Female
                Car drivers			
                  Under 17	96	   20
                  17-19		8,533	5,240
                  20-24		15,143	10,295
                  25-29		13,346	8,893
                  30-34		12,431	7,949
                  35-39		11,777	7,651
                  40-49		22,439	14,879
                  50-59		15,250	8,801
                  60-69		9,315	4,460
                  70+	        7,466	2,982
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

As visibility was down to under 20 metres in the worst bits.
                  Shortest stopping at 30mph is 23m

People probably think - I'll ease of the throttle a tad and cruise along at a gentle 60 mph - which still takes 72m to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I have one of those small extinguishers in my boot, but few people do even that.
                    Keep checking that it looks OK and replace every year or so. Mine didn't work when I needed it.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                      Keep checking that it looks OK and replace every year or so. Mine didn't work when I needed it.
                      Remember to set the timer on the oven next time then, that usually helps.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X