• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help! ccsvchst.exe is killing my machine!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! ccsvchst.exe is killing my machine!

<deleted>
    Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 18:20.
    Bwana

Boot into safe mode, uninstall all the Norton crap.

Install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Job done
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Who's sockie is this?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

<deleted>
        Bwana

Comment

Originally posted by Bwana View Post
          Bonza!

I had a quick look on Microsoft's website and it says:

"...guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software."

What about firewall? Or do I just use the built-in Microsoft firewall? And how good is this stuff? I know the Norton software can be very resource-hungry, but I've found it's done a good job of keeping my machine safe.
          The built-in firewall's fine. I've been using MSE for about a year now on three machines and haven't had issues on any of them.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

<deleted>
            Bwana

Comment

I use the MS stuff. It's pretty good.

I've not had anything serious but the desktop (still running XP) did pick up a java nagware thing a couple of times, basically due to having a very old java version on it. I cured that by uninstalling java and cleaning it up. My windows 7 machines have all been totally fine.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

By and large a Firewall is a Firewall is a Firewall.

For a home network where you don't need remote access from your office or hotel room you can just rely on your router (assuming it has one, most of them do now) in it's out of the box config. It will block all inbound traffic by default unless it's a response to a request from your network. You can run windows firewall if you really want, but if you have a firewall on your router there really isn't much point.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  By and large a Firewall is a Firewall is a Firewall.

For a home network where you don't need remote access from your office or hotel room you can just rely on your router (assuming it has one, most of them do now) in it's out of the box config. It will block all inbound traffic by default unless it's a response to a request from your network. You can run windows firewall if you really want, but if you have a firewall on your router there really isn't much point.
                  Zone alarm stops outbound vectors so rogue processes can't dial home with your details. A router firewall only blocks inbound.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Zone alarm stops outbound vectors so rogue processes can't dial home with your details. A router firewall only blocks inbound.
                    I think the Windows 7 firewall does that too. It has outbound rules that by default block programs/services unless you specify otherwise. A warning appears if something attempts to make an outbound call so you can decide whether to add it to the safe list.

I've been using MSE since its release but it isn't good enough on its own to catch everything. I recommend also using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which is free for manual scans (have to pay to get live monitoring), which is good enough for periodical checking unless you routinely browse dodgy sites. In which case a virtual PC or other sandbox to browse in isolation is probably a good idea.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X