• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about nice areas to live in Surrey/West London area

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    No, I want to live in the Surrey / West London area in the leafy bits, so only the area inside the M25, M3, A3 bounded region.

I also need good access to Heathrow and Gatwick (incase I need a quick escape).
    Well its pretty clear you can't afford what you want.
    So think again.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Can't afford the first one, second one looks like a house I owned once in Swindon that cost £30K a few years back.

Wimbledon is not value for money, I will be looking further out into towards Surrey.
      Well, it is expensive, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was bad value, because it's a nice area, fairly low crime, and good for commuting because there is a train to Waterloo every 3 minutes in the rush hour and the total journey to bank takes half an hour. Going the other way you can get on the A3 heading out of town in 5-10 minutes. All in, I'd say it's one of the best places to live in London, and I've tried a few, from Brixton to Marylebone.

The main thing I would have against moving further out is that the train frequency decreases and you lose the "back up" of the tube for when it all goes to tulip as often happens. Everywhere down that way has godawful traffic as well.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        How come?
        He aspires to emulate his role model, moi.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          In which case, you need to forget about all of the areas, with the exception of the Moseleys, listed in your OP.
          Is there a hitting the nail on the head smiley?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Hi,

Prawn enterprises is planning a new luxury kebab shop in London and therefore will be need to commute to the Victoria/Waterloo area on occasions.

I don't like the London/City feel, I like the open leafy Surrey feel, but don't know much about the areas with a good rail link to central London.

If anyones got some experience of living in any of the areas below, or you know they are nice, or really rough and dodgy let me know. These are have a short train journey, frequent trains and large detached houses with big gardens for sale.

Weybridge
            Walton-on-Thames
            Esher
            Hersham
            Kingston-Upon-Thames
            Richmond
            Oxshott
            Stoke D'abermon
            East Molseley
            West Molseley

etc

Not interested in rough, run down areas like Wandworth due to the grime and crime element and the lack of decent housing.

What's the most upmarket, green, safe areas I've listed above?

Cheers,

TIA

DP
            All tulipholes in the South. I have "lived" there - all of the top four off and on - (weekdays) for years working at clients there and can confidently say that none of them is "open leafy" in any way - you need to get much further out for that - the Wiltshire countryside is nice in that way.

They are all hideously expensive overpriced, overpopulated, busy impersonal and pollution ridden crapholes where the residents kid themselves that there must be something great about living there. There isn't. Oh and our favourite Turkish Kebab shop was in Weybridge.

Comment

Wimbledon is not value for money, I will be looking further out into towards Surrey.
              Depending on the relative importance for you of "leafy and open" v "good rail link", why not look further out, to Horsham (not Crawley) or villages in Sussex?

I would suggest Reigate (not neighboring Redhill); but I'm not sure what the rail link there is like. There is a station, but you may have to change for London.

Or how about somewhere round Guildford? That's handy for the A3, and probably has a railway station.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Depending on the relative importance for you of "leafy and open" v "good rail link", why not look further out, to Horsham (not Crawley) or villages in Sussex?

I would suggest Reigate (not neighboring Redhill); but I'm not sure what the rail link there is like. There is a station, but you may have to change for London.

Or how about somewhere round Guildford? That's handy for the A3, and probably has a railway station.
                hmmm, Guildford looks interesting. Fast train (34 min journey) to London and lots of nice houses within a few miles of the station too. As you say good road links too and definately green and pleasant. Not keen on the areas around Gatwick.

Thanks for the idea.

Comment

It's always worth checking Chavtowns to see what others say about a place.

Guildford

You should fit in fine.

Guildford, Surrey. Nestling in the heart of the commuter belt of middle class england, approx. 30 miles south-west of London. This quiet, historic market town provides sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of daily life in the Capital. Unfortunately it also provides refuge for the nastiest of Chavs and that most rare species: the ‘Rich Chav’

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

WHS

All the areas you already mentioned mostly have poor train links or it will be a hassle to get to the train station for the areas you would afford to live in.

Oh and West Molesley has no train station at all. And when the Hampton Court flower show is on forget it.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Lakshmi Mittal to build a £30-mn mansion in London -  Business News - News - MSN India

Me and my rich mate have the same ideas.

Comment

Working...
                      X