• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yesterday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    very cool idea . . . but far too much of a faff for me

hope she appreciates it, but in my experience she'll still be moaning at you for the rest of your life,

"have you done x y or z?"

"no you can't go on holiday with your mates"

"we're spending xmas at my parents" etc etc

"when's the last time you did anything nice for me"

you'll bring up the proposal, she'll respond wth . . .

"that was years ago, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY!"

But

best of luck eh
    Happly married then filthy, we all should be so lucky
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originality, well done, I'm sure your gf will love it.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
        Happly married then filthy, we all should be so lucky
        can't live with em . . . can't kill em

Comment

Err, congratulations. No offence but it sounds a bit sad, I like gadgets as much as the next man but wouldn’t say the same for my missus. She would look at me with a disappointed look on her face (not just cause I asked her !) then say get it open. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I think I'm more impressed by your engineering abilities than the romantic part (which is nice in itself). Hugely nerdy but certainly very cool, and unique.

I don't suppose we can see a picture of it?
            thanks, but the idea wasn't mine, it came from one of Nicks "Monday links", the circuitry I have done (my first ever micro-electronics attempt), the software is a bit of a mash up from other scripts tailored to my specific circuit

Original Concept is here (not my box): The Reverse Geocache™ Puzzle Box | Arduiniana

Detailed Build Plans that helped me a lot are here (also not my box): The Frustromantic Box, Part 1: Intro « New Bright Idea

when it's complete I'll post pics
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

press it again you get "Attempt 2 of 50" etc.
              What happens when it gets to 50 failures?

I used to know a gal who would try just that to see if it worked.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                Err, congratulations. No offence but it sounds a bit sad, I like gadgets as much as the next man but wouldn’t say the same for my missus. She would look at me with a disappointed look on her face (not just cause I asked her !) then say get it open. Good luck !
                Thanks for the congrats, it's your opinion about it being sad, each to their own I suppose. No offence taken.

I expect her to be very curious about what's in it, frustrated about not being able to open it right away (meaning I'll have to have another xmas present to fix that prob) and then start working out where it could be to open it.

We'll be at her mum's for xmas so she'll have that distance as an intial reading, a new reading from home the following day and then I'm almost certain she'll involve her teacher friends/colleagues as we see them on boxing day who I can guarantee a specific one of them will suggest a map and trigonometry to solve the problem which then won't take too long for her to work out where the "opening" location is.

After that I expect her to plan the weekend away (as she is already talking about in early spring going to the very same island) and so the opening to be shortly after new year. Which would also be a good opportunity to use her new Digital Camera that I've bought as the "other" xmas present.

Comment

I don't want to rain on your parade etc

Seems to me it'll be pretty obvious to realise what is in the box, so not much of a surprise

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    What happens when it gets to 50 failures?

I used to know a gal who would try just that to see if it worked.
                    I've added into the program at 25, 40, 45, 49 and 50 certain messages letting her know that she's used up half the chances, a few chances left, in 5 chances it will lock for 3 months, be very careful and finally at 50 it says "box locked. 3 months until next retry, powering down" and it switches off for 20 more button presses (not actually 3 months) and that's the reason I added the backdoor to gain access just incase she does not want to play along.

Comment

WOW that really appeals to both my romantic side & my geeky side

Well done.

I hope you have, very many happy and healthy years together
                      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X