Posts 1 to 10 of 13

Super Tramp

RichardCranium is a permanent contractor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nuisance PPI phone calls

On my landline for over 3 weeks I've been getting automated calls from the "PPI Claims Survey" (0161 850 0356). There seems no way to stop their machine from ringing up. (The landline is ex-directory and registered with the Telephone Preference Service.)

For the past week I've also been getting them on my mobile, this time from an Indian call centre who ask for Mr mumble-mumble and then go into their sales spiel about Payment Protection Insurance. They are ringing up a number of times a day and driving me potty. Again, there seems no way to stop them ringing.

(It's like the Bad Olde Days of British Gas phoning every hour to get ClientCo to switch to them, despite ClientCo being on a trading estate with no gas service to it.)

a) Is it just me, or is everyone being subjected to this unstoppable tulipe?

b) Should there be a law that anyone who buys anything off a cold-caller should be summarily executed?
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 2nd November 2010 at 07:08.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Godlike

xoggoth has more data than eek

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you hang on to the end is there no option to press 1 and prevent further calls? Some of these nuisances seem to have been pressured into doing this recently.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

More fingers than teeth

Old Greg 's job has never been outsourced

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
    On my landline for over 3 weeks I've been getting automated calls from the "PPI Claims Survey" (0161 850 0356). There seems no way to stop their machine from ringing up. (The landline is ex-directory and registered with the Telephone Preference Service.)

For the past week I've also been getting them on my mobile, this time from an Indian call centre who ask for Mr mumble-mumble and then go into their sales spiel about Payment Protection Insurance. They are ringing up a number of times a day and driving me potty. Again, there seems no way to stop them ringing.

(It's like the Bad Olde Days of British Gas phoning every hour to get ClientCo to switch to them, despite ClientCo being on a trading estate with no gas service to it.)

b) Should there be a law that anyone who buys anything off a cold-caller should be summarily executed?
    Ask him what colour underwear he's wearing.
    Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics.

More fingers than teeth

zeitghost - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Discovered ZeitPater talking to some twat in an Indian call centre the other day.

They were attempting to get him to transfer to a different electrickery supplier.

This came to a rapid conclusion once I got hold of the phone.

More fingers than teeth

Old Greg 's job has never been outsourced

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost View Post
    Discovered ZeitPater talking to some twat in an Indian call centre the other day.

They were attempting to get him to transfer to a different electrickery supplier.

This came to a rapid conclusion once I got hold of the phone.
    Ye gods! I thought you sprang fully formed from a volcano.
    Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics.

Banned

kandr has no reputation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's 2010, use a mobile, skype or email.

Ducklike

Platypus is a permanent contractor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

(a) Not just you, I'm being plagued by them
    (b) Yes.

Super Tramp

RichardCranium is a permanent contractor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by xoggoth View Post
    If you hang on to the end is there no option to press 1 and prevent further calls? Some of these nuisances seem to have been pressured into doing this recently.
    For the automated one, yes. It says to press "8". Press "8" and the call is cut off. Then they ring back...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Ask him what colour underwear he's wearing.
    For the call centre one, I have tried saying they have the wrong number, asking them to not call back, screaming abuse, begging them to stop calling me and hanging up. Then they ring back...

Quote Originally Posted by kandr View Post
    It's 2010, use a mobile, skype or email.
    The automated one is on the landline. The call centre is ringing the mobile. Never heard of email spam?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Banned

kandr has no reputation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the automated one, yes. It says to press "8". Press "8" and the call is cut off. Then they ring back...

For the call centre one, I have tried saying they have the wrong number, asking them to not call back, screaming abuse, begging them to stop calling me and hanging up. Then they ring back...

The automated one is on the landline. The call centre is ringing the mobile. Never heard of email spam?
    Spam filter does a good job for 99% of spam. Can you not block certain numbers with your mobile? (or landline).

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is good enough for Jehovah!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kandr View Post
    Spam filter does a good job for 99% of spam. Can you not block certain numbers with your mobile? (or landline).
    Most of the automated ones don't send their number (callers number withheld) so asking your telephone provider to block all calls where the number is withheld goes a long way of stopping nuisance calls.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast