• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know if it's legal to charge credit card before despatching goods?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I take exception to that!

When delivery is quoted at 3 days at the time of order, and the item is shown as "in stock". Then a week later the item is out of stock and not due in for another 10 days, I'd call that breach of contract.
    Bloody serves you right for buying online.

Bet you had a look at one in someones shop first, measured it, touched it, wasted the shopkeepers time then went off and found it 10% cheaper on line.

What a clever shopper I am you thought.

Did you know(I bet you don't) that the vast majority of online retailers who purport to undercut on furniture don't actually stock any of it. Those 30 - 50% cheaper than the high street companies base it on the fact that they have images from suppliers. They always say in stock, in fact they have to wait to get your money, then have it sent to them and then resend it.

Don't buy furniture online, but it from independent retailers who will give you a cracking service, probably a discount, free delivery and 12 months guarantee.

What was it anyway?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Can't see how it can work like that, they don't know if it has been shipped. We take card payments online, or rather we send them to the RBS Worldpay page which does. At no point in the procedure is there any confirmation from us to Worldpay that the goods have been dispatched. The various stages of acceptance and confirmation depend only on the communications between Worldpay and the card provider. If there is a problem with the goods supplied the buyer has to request a refund.
      WXS.

It gets swiped, we wait three days and then we get the money. It is illegal to keep card details/security code for any period of time. It is processed there and then.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Although as I said earlier we had to agree to and meet all Worldpay's conditions on refunds, including having our refund policies stated on the website. They inspect sites before approval and from time to time thereafter. If a site does not have a clear refund policy, including how long buyers should be expected to wait for delivery, there may be grounds for complaint to whichever company handles the card purchases.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          It gets swiped, we wait three days and then we get the money. It is illegal to keep card details/security code for any period of time.
          The car hire place I use has been using my card details since March. The removals people we just used have had my card details for about 18 months; they used the details from the move before last to take payment.

Scary, innit?

How many people's card details do they have in that filing cabinet / shoe box / in-tray / pinned to the noticeboard / Access database?
          Last edited by RichardCranium; 1 November 2010, 18:59.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Bloody serves you right for buying online.
            Well not really - silly me for believing them when they said it was in stock and would ship in 3 days? Maybe.

Bet you had a look at one in someones shop first, measured it, touched it, wasted the shopkeepers time then went off and found it 10% cheaper on line.

What a clever shopper I am you thought.
            No, I wouldn't do that. I didn't see the item in a shop. If I had done, I would have bought it from the shop. I believe in supporting local traders and shop-keepers. As it happens I've ordered the same item from another supplier today, at 15% MORE than the first lot of jokers, on their promise of 48-hour delivery. It's about service, not price.

Did you know(I bet you don't) that the vast majority of online retailers who purport to undercut on furniture don't actually stock any of it. Those 30 - 50% cheaper than the high street companies base it on the fact that they have images from suppliers. They always say in stock, in fact they have to wait to get your money, then have it sent to them and then resend it.
            This has become apparent. I did however email this company beforehand to ask if the item was in stock and when it would ship. They said yes it's in stock, will ship in 3 days. This directly influenced my choice of supplier and I felt confident enough to place the order. Had they been honest from the start about the lead time, I might well have still placed my order with them. I'm a bit fickle when it comes to honesty. My bad.

Don't buy furniture online, but it from independent retailers who will give you a cracking service, probably a discount, free delivery and 12 months guarantee.
            After this, my only foray into on-line furniture, I will do exactly that, as I have in fact always done in the past.

EDIT: I did buy a picnic-style table for my garden during the summer. It arrived within a week, as expected. First class service. This must be the exception not the rule.

What was it anyway?
            Just a wardrobe !
            Last edited by Platypus; 1 November 2010, 18:29.

Comment

That's not quite true. When Platypus ordered, they would have obtained authorisation from his bank for the transaction, which protects them. His account will have that amount "reserved" for the merchant for some period (I've forgotten how long), but not actually paid until shipping.
              That's how it worked when I ordered a gas fire. I got an automated anti-fraud phone call from the credit card company as soon as they processed the order - as I hadn't used the card for some time, but nothing was debited from the card. It was only debited a week later when they despatched the goods.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Well not really - silly me for believing them when they said it was in stock and would ship in 3 days?
                When a friend at the other end of the country had a baby, I thought buying a present on-line and having it delivered direct to her was best.

I placed my order, making sure the product was marked as "in stock". I paid extra for the quick delivery. I clicked on the option for gift-wrapping and for a card to be included. (During the payment process, it never did ask me what to put on the card.)

Two weeks later I was wondering what had happened when I get an email saying they will credit my account with the cost of the item as not only was it not in stock, it never will be.

So my friend never got the present.

My account had been debited when I placed the order.

The name of this useless, lying, untrustworthy, disappointing, on-line retailer? mothercare.com

For the flat we are now in I used a local independent furniture shop. We needed a bed, urgently, and a chest of drawers. We paid for delivery and it was promised in a couple of days.

His supplier let him down, then his van broke down, then his mate was off sick, and it took two weeks to arrive during which time we slept on the floor.

Meanwhile, of course, we had already paid in the shop when we placed the order.

The reality is: everything is tulip in rip-off Britain.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

OFT info

In summary: They should have told you sooner but only if If they refuse the refund then you have a case
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                    OFT info

In summary: They should have told you sooner but only if If they refuse the refund then you have a case
                    Thanks! That's what I needed to know.

Comment

Working...
                    X