• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's alright siblings he's sorry.........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's alright siblings he's sorry.........

Man apologises for bomber protest

Omar Khayam dressed as a suicide bomber in London

Watch the apology
    A man who dressed as a suicide bomber during a protest about cartoons satirising the Prophet Muhammad has apologised for his behaviour.
    Omar Khayam, 22, from Bedford, "wholeheartedly" apologised to the families of the 7 July bombings.

He likened his own "insensitive" behaviour to the "provocative and controversial" cartoon publication.

Downing Street has said the behaviour of some Muslim protesters in London was "completely unacceptable".

No protesters at the demonstration on Friday and Saturday outside the Danish embassy - over cartoons first printed in a Danish newspaper - were arrested.

But Scotland Yard has said a special squad is investigating the protests and has promised a "swift" inquiry.

Mr Khayam read out his apology outside his Bedford home.

"I found the pictures deeply offensive as a Muslim and I felt the Danish newspaper had been provocative and controversial, deeply offensive and insensitive.

"Just because we have the right of free speech and a free media, it does not mean we may say and do as we please and not take into account the effect it will have on others.

I understand it was wrong, unjustified and insensitive of me to protest in this way

Omar Khayam

'Swift' police demo probe

"But by me dressing the way I did, I did just that, exactly the same as the Danish newspaper, if not worse."

He said his method of protest had offended many people, especially the families of the July bombing victims.

"This was not my intention.

"What happened in July was a tragedy and un-Islamic.

"I do not condone these murderous acts, do not support terrorism or extremism and would like to apologise unreservedly and wholeheartedly to the families of the victims."

He added: "I understand it was wrong, unjustified and insensitive of me to protest in this way."

Asif Nadim, from a Bedford mosque, said the Muslim community distanced itself from Mr Khayam's actions and supported his apology.

"Looking at this from an Islamic point of view, this was totally un-Islamic.

"We distance ourselves from the act that he has actually caused and the pain that he has caused for the families of the victims of the London bombings."

He said Mr Khayam was "very, very ashamed" of his actions and hoped that it would be the end of the matter.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke said any decisions on arrest and prosecution were "properly matters for the police and prosecution authorities".

He said that the reaction to the cartoons across Britain had "in general been respectful and restrained".

Oh well that's alright then, don't worry about it, no problem

Originally posted by John Galt

Watch the apology
    A man who dressed as a suicide bomber during a protest about cartoons satirising the Prophet Muhammad has apologised for his behaviour.
    Omar Khayam, 22, from Bedford, "wholeheartedly" apologised to the families of the 7 July bombings.

He likened his own "insensitive" behaviour to the "provocative and controversial" cartoon publication.

Downing Street has said the behaviour of some Muslim protesters in London was "completely unacceptable".

No protesters at the demonstration on Friday and Saturday outside the Danish embassy - over cartoons first printed in a Danish newspaper - were arrested.

But Scotland Yard has said a special squad is investigating the protests and has promised a "swift" inquiry.

"I found the pictures deeply offensive as a Muslim and I felt the Danish newspaper had been provocative and controversial, deeply offensive and insensitive.

"Just because we have the right of free speech and a free media, it does not mean we may say and do as we please and not take into account the effect it will have on others.

I understand it was wrong, unjustified and insensitive of me to protest in this way

Omar Khayam

"But by me dressing the way I did, I did just that, exactly the same as the Danish newspaper, if not worse."

He said his method of protest had offended many people, especially the families of the July bombing victims.

"I do not condone these murderous acts, do not support terrorism or extremism and would like to apologise unreservedly and wholeheartedly to the families of the victims."

He added: "I understand it was wrong, unjustified and insensitive of me to protest in this way."

Asif Nadim, from a Bedford mosque, said the Muslim community distanced itself from Mr Khayam's actions and supported his apology.

"We distance ourselves from the act that he has actually caused and the pain that he has caused for the families of the victims of the London bombings."

He said Mr Khayam was "very, very ashamed" of his actions and hoped that it would be the end of the matter.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke said any decisions on arrest and prosecution were "properly matters for the police and prosecution authorities".

He said that the reaction to the cartoons across Britain had "in general been respectful and restrained".

I guess everybody has their own criterion for humour.

John , whats your opinon given the Danish newspaper in question earlier refused to publish cartoons of Christ in fear it would upset its readers ?

Doesnt it all smack of double standards ?

Comment

I found the pictures deeply offensive as a Muslim and I felt the Danish newspaper had been provocative and controversial, deeply offensive and insensitive. Just because we have the right of free speech and a free media, it does not mean we may say and do as we please and not take into account the effect it will have on others.
      Well actually, Omar Khayam, excepting exhorting the committment of crime, it does mean we may say and do as we please. That's what "free speech" means.

Is he in any way related to Victor Khayam do you think?

Comment

Watch the apology

Omar Khayam

They should lock the sick ferker in a room with the relatives of those that died on 7/7

Then he can be REALLY sorry for what he did

If he comes out of that experience, a nice 10-stretch courtesy of Her Majesty should just about do the job.

Comment

Still think we should have shot him.

Comment

Can everybody please stop quoting the entire article again?

Comment

What this article?

Watch the apology

"I found the pictures deeply offensive as a Muslim and I felt the Danish newspaper had been provocative a

nd controversial, deeply offensive and insensitive.

Omar Khayam

Comment

why is it illegal to publish anti-semitic articles / cartoons buts its perfectly fine to do so for christians/muslims etc??

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
                  What this article?

Watch the apology

Omar Khayam

Yes, that's the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                    Yes, that's the one.
                    Originally posted by privateeye
                    What this article?

Watch the apology

Omar Khayam

I'm using Firefox - just to confirm, is it this article?
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X