• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bob scammer gets frustrated!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob scammer gets frustrated!

Turns out my old mum got a call a few days ago
    from Microsoft informing her that her Internet service provider had said there was a virus on her machine and it would run slow! Because it was Microsoft (she's heard of them) she listened.

Bob told her she would lose everything unless she did what she was told. (having had a similar problem last month when a local computer support warrior 'fixed' her machine ) she was suitably worried. He spent 20 minutes getting her to the computer.

Anyway he then spent 30 minutes trying to get her to bring up the task manager so he could show her 'critical errors'.

'I don't understand you. Speak properly she kept saying'

Then another 30 trying to get a website address up. They swapped to someone with better English.

Then the on screen scan took place and lo and behold it was full of viruses!!!!!!

Then please enter your credit card and we can fix for £68!!!

'You said it was free!!' 'yes madam, free, £68 please, free, Microsoft'

After an hour and a half she slammed the
    phone down frustration. (I've tried to set Skype up with her over the phone!!!). She still didn't know it was a scam.

1.5 hours and still no luck. How annoying for Bob.

Anyway Bob has phoned back each evening but tonight Im here!!

I see a new CUK holiday coming up

Then another 4
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

you might want to google "techonsupport" if you want to find out the company "bob" worked for..
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

It's been in the news

Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India | Technology | The Guardian

and on here

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security...rus-phone-scam

They say the company is called "the nerd support"
      Last edited by alreadypacked; 27 August 2010, 08:32.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Fraud and dodgy practices are just commonplace events now. Charity bags on your doostep requesting clothes that are flogged in Estonia, small British companies trying to pretend they work on behalf of reputable ones like Sky or BT who have never heard of them, people flogging generators and laptops that turn out to be boxes of bricks. Always check out absolutely everything before any dealings whatever, distrust everyone. Never bother with any purcahse unless it is one you planned to make.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

There is a solution - stop issuing visas to countries that host such scammers and refuse to bring them to justice.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            There is a solution - stop issuing visas to countries that host such scammers and refuse to bring them to justice.
            There is a solution - stop issuing visas to countries that (host such scammers and refuse to bring them to justice).

I read it differently first time.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              If we did, wouldn't you have been screwed?
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
              X