+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1

    Froglike

    Pondlife - scorchio!

    Pondlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Euroland
    Posts
    13,537
    Thanks (Given)
    140
    Thanks (Received)
    302
    Likes (Given)
    839
    Likes (Received)
    1479

    Default Anyone else following the Goldacre Vs McKeith twitter fight?

    Rule #1 Don't take on the nerds on their own turf.

  2. #2

    crap ex-mod

    MarillionFan - scorchio!

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    34,769
    Thanks (Given)
    44
    Thanks (Received)
    496
    Likes (Given)
    256
    Likes (Received)
    2099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pondlife View Post
    Rule #1 Don't take on the nerds on their own turf.
    Never heard of it.

    Just googled it.

    Just read it.

    Wish I'd never heard of it.

    Thats 3 minutes of my life I will never get back. Thanks Pondlife

    MF

    Plus another 1 minute to reply to you

    ....


    Plus another 15 seconds


    Plus another 5
    3
    2
    1
    1
    1
    1
    1
    1
    1
    1
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

  3. #3

    Froglike

    Pondlife - scorchio!

    Pondlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Euroland
    Posts
    13,537
    Thanks (Given)
    140
    Thanks (Received)
    302
    Likes (Given)
    839
    Likes (Received)
    1479

    Default

    It would have been much quicker to just type 'no'

    HTH

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    NickFitz is a fount of knowledge

    NickFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your local branch
    Posts
    38,438
    Thanks (Given)
    1780
    Thanks (Received)
    2038
    Likes (Given)
    9252
    Likes (Received)
    5031

    Default

    Hmm, according to David Naylor she's now trying to pretend that the relevant twitter account isn't hers, but unfortunately hasn't realised that commenting the link to it out of the source of her web site merely hides it, it doesn't remove it:


    <!--<div id="gillianssocialnetwork">
    <a href="http://twitter.com/gillianmckeith" target="_blank" title="Follow Gillian on Twitter"><img src="i/twitter.jpg" alt="Twitter" width="39" height="44" border="0" class="networkicon" /></a>
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/GillianMcKeithOFFICIAL" target="_blank" title="Gillian's facebook Page"><img src="i/facebook.jpg" alt="Facebook" width="39" height="44" border="0" class="networkicon" /></a>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/gillianmckeithTV" target="_blank" title="Gillian's YouTube Channel"><img src="i/youtube.jpg" alt="Gillian's YouTube Channel" width="39" height="44" border="0" class="networkicon" /></a>
    <a href="http://uk.linkedin.com/in/gillianmckeith" target="_blank" title="Gillian on LinkdIn"><img src="i/linkdin.jpg" alt="Gillian on LinkdIn" width="39" height="44" border="0" class="networkicon" /></a></div>
    <div class="rightcolitems">Do you social network? So does Gillian! Follow her on the links above</div><br />-->


    Looks like that mail-order PhD of hers didn't come with a copy of FrontPage 97 for Dummies

  5. #5

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer - scorchio!

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,707
    Thanks (Given)
    362
    Thanks (Received)
    1215
    Likes (Given)
    3508
    Likes (Received)
    3024

    Default

    All online presences are fake, so it must have been someone other than her that tweeted it. From the account that is linked to from her official page. And from her official YouTube channel.

    It was probably Spartacus that did it.
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  6. #6

    Batty

    norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

    norrahe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sticks and the City
    Posts
    27,062
    Thanks (Given)
    91
    Thanks (Received)
    446
    Likes (Given)
    80
    Likes (Received)
    1157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    Hmm, according to David Naylor she's now trying to pretend that the relevant twitter account isn't hers, but unfortunately hasn't realised that commenting the link to it out of the source of her web site merely hides it, it doesn't remove it:


    <!--<div id="gillianssocialnetwork">
    <a href="http://twitter.com/gillianmckeith" target="_blank" title="Follow Gillian on Twitter"><img src="i/twitter.jpg" alt="Twitter" width="39" height="44" border="0" class="networkicon" /></a>
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/GillianMcKeithOFFICIAL" target="_blank" title="Gillian's facebook Page"><img src="i/facebook.jpg" alt="Facebook" width="39" height="44" border="0" class="networkicon" /></a>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/gillianmckeithTV" target="_blank" title="Gillian's YouTube Channel"><img src="i/youtube.jpg" alt="Gillian's YouTube Channel" width="39" height="44" border="0" class="networkicon" /></a>
    <a href="http://uk.linkedin.com/in/gillianmckeith" target="_blank" title="Gillian on LinkdIn"><img src="i/linkdin.jpg" alt="Gillian on LinkdIn" width="39" height="44" border="0" class="networkicon" /></a></div>
    <div class="rightcolitems">Do you social network? So does Gillian! Follow her on the links above</div><br />-->


    Looks like that mail-order PhD of hers didn't come with a copy of FrontPage 97 for Dummies
    No, but she bought a masters in html
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

    Norrahe's blog

  7. #7

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    33,368
    Thanks (Given)
    18
    Thanks (Received)
    268
    Likes (Given)
    121
    Likes (Received)
    826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norrahe View Post
    No, but she bought a masters in html
    Gillian Mckeith, Gina Ford, Melanie Phillips - why is it usually women that don't do logic?
    On a serious note, all of them are causing severe damage to society with their ill-judged and frankly pig ignorant opinions
    "The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."

    Winston Churchill

  8. #8

    Godlike

    Clippy has no reputation

    Clippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,701
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Gillian Mckeith, Gina Ford, Melanie Phillips - why is it usually women that don't do logic?
    On a serious note, all of them are causing severe damage to society with their ill-judged and frankly pig ignorant opinions
    You forgot the dumb American bitch Ann Coulter from your list.

  9. #9

    My post count is Majestic

    NickFitz is a fount of knowledge

    NickFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your local branch
    Posts
    38,438
    Thanks (Given)
    1780
    Thanks (Received)
    2038
    Likes (Given)
    9252
    Likes (Received)
    5031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Gillian Mckeith, Gina Ford, Melanie Phillips - why is it usually women that don't do logic?
    On a serious note, all of them are causing severe damage to society with their ill-judged and frankly pig ignorant opinions
    There are plenty of men named and shamed in Goldacre's book Bad Science - Professor Patrick Holford gets a whole chapter to himself for the rubbish he talks about nutrition (including claiming that Vitamin C is more effective against HIV than AZT is), and the chapter about Matthias Rath (who persuaded the South African government that garlic was an effective cure for AIDS and "Western" medicines were poison) had to be left out of the first edition because he sued Goldacre and The Grauniad for libel in a case that cost them around 500,000 before it was finally thrown out.

  10. #10

    My post count is Majestic

    NickFitz is a fount of knowledge

    NickFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your local branch
    Posts
    38,438
    Thanks (Given)
    1780
    Thanks (Received)
    2038
    Likes (Given)
    9252
    Likes (Received)
    5031

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.