• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Currently reading ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travels with my Aunt by Graham Greene.

I read Our Man In Havana about 15 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it so it's a wonder it's taken this long for me to pick up another of his works.

Similarly, I must read another Updike Rabbit book. Read one of those years ago, enjoyed it but haven't read any of the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      Travels with my Aunt by Graham Greene.

I read Our Man In Havana about 15 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it so it's a wonder it's taken this long for me to pick up another of his works.

Similarly, I must read another Updike Rabbit book. Read one of those years ago, enjoyed it but haven't read any of the others.
      Read "The Human Factor". Probably his best. GG, that is
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

I got Huxley's 'Brave New World' on the go, along with 'The Fourth Way' - P. D. Ouspensky, as an intro to Gurdjieff, which I found a bit heavy going, or more accurately, extremely heavy going.

Also 'The Caine Mutiny' and 'It Can't Happen Here' as echoes and insight of and into Trump's current state of mind.

Like to have several tomes on the go at once.

Also killing myself laughing at Bottom on the Apple TV just in case I go a bit too highbrow on the book stuff! Classic stuff! 'Back in a mo; a sex-mo.....'

Comment

I have just started Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline, only 2 chapters in but so far really liking it. Would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the 80's as many references to that period.
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I got Huxley's 'Brave New World' on the go
            I read that a few years ago. I had no idea how funny it is.
            Also killing myself laughing at Bottom on the Apple TV just in case I go a bit too highbrow on the book stuff! Classic stuff! 'Back in a mo; a sex-mo.....'
            Bottom was without a doubt the high (low) point of British comedy.

Currently working my way through all of Frank Herbert's short stories. Next up is Confessions of an Opium Eater.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Springsteen - Born To Run.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Springsteen - Born To Run.
                Interesting choice...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Must pre-order this one, bundle of laughs....

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Having seen the film Ensemble, c'est tout (in French, with German subtitles, and an on call "huh, didn't get that bit" facilitator), I bought the English translation Hunting and Gathering by Anna Gavalda.

A very sweet film, and a beautiful book. I've ordered the original and it might turn out to be the first French novel I've actual read.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The Eagle's Prophecy, by Simon Scarrow (2001)

Excellent, sort of like Centurion (2010) with pirates in the Adriatic.

Bought it for 50p in a charity shop, and will now read a few others in the series. (Didn't realise there were so many!)
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X