• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CSA - How much do I have to pay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSA - How much do I have to pay?

Hi,

My Ex (now remarried) told me that she is going to give up work so as to spend some more time with my daughter (aged 5), and that I will need to pay more Child support. Knowing it was all bull, I told her that her decision to give up work has nothing to do with me and I am only liable for my share of childcare costs not her own defict.

Anyway I found out from my daughter that mummy has a little baby in her tummy, so looks like there is going to be a stormy weather ahead when she gives up work.

I have my daugher with me minimum of 1 overnight day a week. a little more here and there if im not working or Ex has other engagements. There are no issues regarding when I want my daughter

I am all up for paying equal share of child costs especially since her and partner do have good jobs as well. I dont want to prop up another household with by hard earned cash!

I generally make a lumpsum payment every 3 or 4 months to her because I have not managed to sit down to fully calculate the monthly costs, though Ex has been slighly shady about the costs thought think I've probably overpaid her. It was a lot easier while daughter was in private as I used to get a copy of the bill so paid 60% of monthly to Ex and then take care of other bits and pieces in between.

I pay myself a gross salary of about £18k and take around £20k divs.
    I like to have some idea of what could happens if was dragged to CSA(that i guess is the worst case scenario). Will they access me on Salary alone or Salary + divs?

My standpoint is that if she gives up work to have a baby then that should bear no impact on what I have to pay... afterrall if I lost my gig/have another child I will still have to meet my full parental obligations

cheers

css_jay99

I don't know, but I bet this lot do...

http://www.csa.gov.uk/en/case/family-circumstances.asp
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The CSA will caclulaste on all your income I believe.

You are quite correct that what you pay is meant to be for the support of your daughter only and that what her mum chooses to do with working is entirely her own business. Her new hubby should cover her shortfall if she gives up work as she gave up any entitlement to maintenance to herself from you when she remarried.

Comment

you are ****ed. get a sex change, and hope men can have babaies soon ...

Comment

about 75£ per week based on those numbers

I dont know how the CSA deal with variable incomes

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
            Hi,

My Ex (now remarried) told me that she is going to give up work so as to spend some more time with my daughter (aged 5), and that I will need to pay more Child support. Knowing it was all bull, I told her that her decision to give up work has nothing to do with me and I am only liable for my share of childcare costs not her own defict.

Anyway I found out from my daughter that mummy has a little baby in her tummy, so looks like there is going to be a stormy weather ahead when she gives up work.

I have my daugher with me minimum of 1 overnight day a week. a little more here and there if im not working or Ex has other engagements. There are no issues regarding when I want my daughter

I am all up for paying equal share of child costs especially since her and partner do have good jobs as well. I dont want to prop up another household with by hard earned cash!

I generally make a lumpsum payment every 3 or 4 months to her because I have not managed to sit down to fully calculate the monthly costs, though Ex has been slighly shady about the costs thought think I've probably overpaid her. It was a lot easier while daughter was in private as I used to get a copy of the bill so paid 60% of monthly to Ex and then take care of other bits and pieces in between.

I pay myself a gross salary of about £18k and take around £20k divs.
            I like to have some idea of what could happens if was dragged to CSA(that i guess is the worst case scenario). Will they access me on Salary alone or Salary + divs?

My standpoint is that if she gives up work to have a baby then that should bear no impact on what I have to pay... afterrall if I lost my gig/have another child I will still have to meet my full parental obligations

cheers

css_jay99
            Don’t want to worry you but contractor next to me has to pay £500 per week for a two year old.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Your payments don't change based on the ex's income. You will pay x% of your net salary (note: salary) dependent on the number of children involved and the number of nights you have them. Your ex can, and probably will, put in a variation form to take account of your dividends.

That's it in a nutshell...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

This,

http://www.cmoptions.org/en/calculator/calculator.asp

doesn't appear to include divis. But then, it doesn't have all the rules either...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You will be assessed on your salary. As a director (assuming you are) then you MAY be assessed on your dividends IF she requests it. See "how we calculate child maintenance" on the CSA site.

What was in your consent order or judges direction depending on whether you had an imposed settlement at final hearing? Do you pay any nominal spousal maintenance, was she given leave to apply? [It would be unlikely for a clean break where there is a 5 year old]. This does give the possibility of going back to court to seek a variation on the spousal maintenance - as to whether she'd get it probably unlikely. [There are bizarre circumstances where SM can continue after remarriage].

Popular wisdom would suggest not involving the CSA. I'm not sure this is necessarily good advice. Any payments in excess of CSA payments will be considered a gift. Any payment made between the opening of the CSA case and asessment will be considered a gift. This is not generally a problem, however, even though the CSA can only go back to the opening of the case it does mean that if you had received an irregular payment in the previous year (e.g. a bonus) then you WILL be assessed on this. On the face of it fair enough, but if you have already paid on it she gets 2 bytes at the cherry.

Edit: If the child maintenance was in the judges order then there is, I understand, no ability for variance from either side for 12 months following the order. THe CSA only overrule the court if the order is silent or 12 months has elapsed.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Don’t want to worry you but contractor next to me has to pay £500 per week for a two year old.
                    Not though CSA he doesn't. That would be beyond the maximum they can assess. They can only assess on income up to 2k net per week and for 1 child it is 15%, end of.

What he may well be doing of course is paying spousal maintenance in addition, or if his income is over 100k net then there can be a top up ordered by the court. This is in the form of a strange order which fixes the family needs at x less whatever the CSA assess. But it won't be the CSA who have imposed that - it will be the court.

Comment

Working...
                    X