• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can I tell who "owns" a telephone line

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I tell who "owns" a telephone line

I have two telephone lines coming to my house - the previous owner had an extra one put in as a business line.

They've been here since I came 2 and a half years ago, but I only use one for telephone and broadband (talk talk), it had never occurred to me that the business line might be live, but whilst messing around with my router yesterday I plugged the phone into the business line and it's got a ring tone. left it plugged in for an hour or so and got a spam phonecall on it.

Anyone got any idea how I can find out who the provider is or whether I should bother?

Keep using it - someone will eventually send a bill.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

BT still own all the phone lines don't they?

Phone them up and ask?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

yep BT do still own all lines - stick a phone in the socket, ring BT and ask them if they can identify you

maybe

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Keep using it - someone will eventually send a bill.
          I know somebody who lived in a house and who the electric comapny would not admit that their house existed even though they supplied them. They had 5 years of no bills.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Ring you other line from it to find out the number and then bung the number into google and see if it can find it. There are some reverse enquriy sites as well which might find it.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              I know somebody who lived in a house and who the electric comapny would not admit that their house existed even though they supplied them. They had 5 years of no bills.
              Same happened to my brother ... plug the phone in and keep quiet! If you were due to pay they would have sent a line rental bill ...

Comment

cheers y'all. I tried googling it, I don't have to be too clever to identify the line number as someone kindly printed it on the socket

I suppose it's just another big corp that hasn't got a clue what's going on with their customers

I did a quick job for a teleco once sanitising a database of where they had installed their equipment - whoever set up the original system put a free text field for customer name, you'd never believe how many variations of "Siemens" there were in there

Comment

On one contract I was sitting with a girlie who spent 3 months ringing numbers - only to find...

"Oh, your in the security hut of a building site?" or "It used to be a sports and social club of XX company?" or mostly just ringing out...

She saved over £11k in line rentals per month ongoing.

Comment

Here is a tip!

Call the BT test number 17070 from the phone - The robot voice will read you your number back.

If the number is withheld - just put 1470 in from of the number - 147017070

www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Working...
                    X