• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Energy the options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uranium rich ore (mostly from Canada) is apparently running out faster than oil. When it does we will have to use "less rich" ore from unstable countries. And that ore will take more energy to process into fuel than the fuel itself produces.

Comment

Coomercial Fusion is still 20 years away. Always has been. I rather imagine that it will continue to be 20 years away.

Still if the political will exists to fund ITER sensibly (and it does look as though it might) at least we'll know sooner rather than later whether it can work.

Currently none of the fusion experiments have made the breakthrough of getting more energy out than put in.

Comment

I understand that even with current extraction technology there are ~200 years of known coal reserves in the UK

Extraction technology where more difficult seams can be exploited is being developed.

The technology for 'cleaner burn' coal is now very advanced

I believe that one day (even in my own lifetime) the time will come when the UK will have to once again exploit its natural energy assest of "King Coal"

As for wind farms....a local farmer recently submitted an application to build 2 massive wind turbines a couple of miles from where I live.

http://rawdenbydale.co.uk/index.html

Trouble is that these things are 410ft (125 metres) high and will be absolute eyesores in an area of natural beauty.

I dont think this is a case of 'NIMBYism' but one of balancing the UK's energy needs against destroying places of outstanding natural beauty (which strangely enough is one of the reason I bought a house there )

Comment

barrages harnessing tidal energy could provide 20% of
          Britain's power needs...

http://www.darvill.clara.net/altenerg/tidal.htm

of course the greenies don't like it

Milan.

Comment

Good factoid for you from the Economist a couple of weeks ago. To replace the power output of the largest French nuclear plant with wind power, would require one windmill every 100m along the entirety of the French coastline.

Not apropos of anything in particular, I just like factoids.

Comment

But surely, by harvesting the energy from the sun, the wind and the tide we are interfering with a delicate eco system. Think chaos theory "a butterfly flaps its wings....." sort of in reverse.

What happens if all the wind turbines face the same way?

We ar all doomed I tell you!
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                But surely, by harvesting the energy from the sun, the wind and the tide we are interfering with a delicate eco system. Think chaos theory "a butterfly flaps its wings....." sort of in reverse.

What happens if all the wind turbines face the same way?

We ar all doomed I tell you!
                As long as it causes house prices to boom, who cares?

Comment

How about clock work

Loads of britains finest criminals winding up in prisons all over the UK.

At least this work could not be our sourced

Mr WC2 I sentance you to 10 years hard winding
                  Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

best thing to do with criminals is teach them all french with the duration of their sentence being the time it takes them to get to degree level, then on release give them a couple of hundred euros and a eurostar ticket

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                      best thing to do with criminals is teach them all french with the duration of their sentence being the time it takes them to get to degree level, then on release give them a couple of hundred euros and a eurostar ticket

Milan.
                      Oh Bravo mon amie Bravo indeed. Laughed out loud.
                      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X