• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most nerve racking airplane flight(s)...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[lie]The most nerve racking thing I ever experienced was on a flight to New York, we werent sure if there was enough champaign on board to last the trip, most disturbing[/lie]
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

1973 flying over the Bermuda triangle, we suddenly got sucked into this underwater vortex and weren't heard of again.... until now, of course!

It's been an interesting time in that Atlantis

Comment

Bad Flights

Haven't been on this forum for ages - had to register all over again?

Anyway....

On flying to America a while ago with some tulipty holiday airline the plane had to stop off for fuel in Canada. It was such a violent landing that about half a dozen of the interior ceiling panels fell down landing on the passengers. The pilot looked at the mess and decided to take off towards our destination with the wiring looms exposed above us because we would have to be grounded to get the panels put back up again.

I fly most weeks and I must say that in the last 5 years or so one airline stands out head and shoulders above the rest for bad sloppy landings - RyanAir. It's as if the pilots just don't give a ****.

The most frightening flight I've had was with Transavia from Alicante to Rotterdam in stormy weather. As we made our approach I really did wonder if this was the end. It was a close your eyes and pray moment!

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jason986
          I fly most weeks and I must say that in the last 5 years or so one airline stands out head and shoulders above the rest for bad sloppy landings - RyanAir. It's as if the pilots just don't give a ****.
          Jason
          Its probably because they're all knackered. After reading numerous threads about Ryanair management practices on PPrune I'd never fly with them unless I absolutely had to.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruntfuttock
            1973 flying over the Bermuda triangle, we suddenly got sucked into this underwater vortex and weren't heard of again.... until now, of course!

It's been an interesting time in that Atlantis
            Funny you should mention that. Hell, 60 years ago almost to a day me and 13 buddies were on a routine training flight through the Bermuda triangle and just plum diddly disappeared.

After that we were [CLASSIFIED]. And before I knew it we were landing in the Mexican desert and it was 1977.

This is the last photo my buddy took before it all went kinda strange.

Comment

Originally posted by planetit
              You were lucky.

On a flight from Sydney to LA. We crashed onto a desert island. Luckily me and a few others survived, but I was attached by a polar bear, and all sorts of other weird things happened.
              Funny you should mention this I think I was on the same flight. The only difference seems to be we first thought the people in the tail end of the plane didnt survive, however they did they were on the other side of the Island. It took us a while though for us to make them realise we were ok.

Also we found this trap door, when we followed it down we found some bloke sitting at a computer, this bloke had to type in numbers to the computer every couple of minutes or the island blew up. The real wierd thing was that we also happened to have a fat lottery winner on the plane who surivived, and the numbers this chap at the computer had to type in were his frigging winning lottery numbers, what are the chances of that .

Finally when we did manage to build a raft to try and get us of the island, we came across another boat, we thought they were going to save us, but they pulled guns on us and wanted the only surviving kid we had with us or they would kill us all, barstwards

Man that was a strange flight and the events that happened after we crashed were even more weird and to be frank totally pointless going no where bit like my reply, think Ive LOST the plot.

Last edited by Ivor1; 23 November 2005, 13:08.

Comment

Nerve wrecking experience.

Most nerve-wracking moment was a take-off in a Cathay Pacific 747 from Heathrow. We’re thundering down the runway, the nose wheel leaves the ground then slams back down again, all hell lets loose. The brakes come on we’re swerving all over the place eventually to shudder to a halt at (presumably) the end of the runway. After a few seconds, pilot comes over the PA to say that the autopilot – or something – had been incorrectly set-up and did not cater for the cross-winds that they experienced when the nose wheel lifted. Anyway we taxi back to the terminal where they reprogram the thingamajig and politely request another stab at take-off from air traffic control only to find that this is not for an hour and a half. This apparently takes the pilots over their maximum number of flying hours so they have to request another crew, which takes a further hour. Finally a second smug pilot (and his mate) arrive and while walking through the upper deck turns to one of the passengers and says “It’s alright now, they’ve bought in the professionals to get this thing off the ground”. True to his word though he did in fact manage a successful take-off though we crashed on landing and were all killed. Doh!

Comment

Went on a sight-seeing helicopter flight over Orlando a few years ago and the door flew open mid flight. Does that count ?
                  I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Clownio
                    Went on a sight-seeing helicopter flight over Orlando a few years ago and the door flew open mid flight. Does that count ?
                    depends if anyone fell out! -
                    SA says;
                    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Clownio
                      Was that the moment the picture was taken for your avatar, you do look like you are cacking yourself
                      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X