• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EDS Pay Hourly ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my mate...

Originally posted by Arun V
    Looks like the what the agent said was the way EDS works.
    My mate has just been offered a position with EDS on 45 ph hourly rate for a 7.5 hour day.

Seems standard enough.

Comment

45ph? Not enough blood money to work for EDS.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Does anyone know if EDS only pay hourly rates ?
        Would you prefer a daily rate? Don't expect a "day" to be 7.5 hours then!

Comment

why not? I am on a day rate but charge overtime for any hour worked over 7.5 a day
          Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I think expat means day rate as in "professional day".

If you have a contract which for all intents and purposes says something like £xxx per 7.5 hour day then its probably not much different from being on an hourly rate, in which case you can probably charge the extra hours.

If you have a contract which quotes per day, "professional day" or similar, and especially if the phrase "minimum xx hours per week" is used then client/agent has something totally different in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
              I think expat means day rate as in "professional day".

If you have a contract which for all intents and purposes says something like £xxx per 7.5 hour day then its probably not much different from being on an hourly rate, in which case you can probably charge the extra hours.

If you have a contract which quotes per day, "professional day" or similar, and especially if the phrase "minimum xx hours per week" is used then client/agent has something totally different in mind.
              That's what they do at Abbey, I went from 35 hours a week, to 5 'professional days' a week....basically holding you there over the core hours regardless of how many hours worked.

Not nice....too much like a permy.

Comment

Does anyone know if EDS only pay hourly rates ? Thats what I was told by an agency (Spring). The reason I was asking was that the rate isnt that good but the agent's spin on it was that everyone does more than the 7.5 standard hours and so this would increase my daily income.
                I'm sure the agent will happily sanction a daily rate based on 7.5 * the hourly rate so long as your timesheet records the actual hours done - purely for a statistical check on the project planning you understand

Comment

and is the term "professional day" defined anywhere in the contract?
                  if not, it can mean whatever people like.
                  I also have a contract that says "£xxx per professional day"
                  But I do charge extra time on anything over 7.5 hours
                  If the PM stops agreeing to this arrangement (hasn't happened yet), I will limit my hours to 7.5 a day

so why don't you work your 7.5 hours and if the PM goes "hey where are you going" you say "well I have worked my day, do you want me to stay? £xx per additional hour please"

and boredsenseless you are right - a log at hour level becomes then quite important, for both parties.
                  Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Working...
                  X