• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buy a laptop now or after Christmas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy a laptop now or after Christmas

I need to buy a new laptop. Do you think prices are likely to drop significantly after Christmas?

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre
    I need to buy a new laptop. Do you think prices are likely to drop significantly after Christmas?
    No, but all the latest specs will change.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

That's the confusing bit!

Do you predict a better deal in January?

Comment

It is difficult to say. Sometimes prices go up, sometimes they go down. For a given specification the expected price does tend to decrease. Round about christmas the volatility is high what with all the deals and the slightly different packages. My advice would be to lay down in the street and use your a*se as a bicycle rack.

Comment

Will it be cheaper after xmas? most likely, pc's are nearly always falling in price

Will it fall anymore than normal because of xmas, impossible to say.

Comment

That's the confusing bit!

Do you predict a better deal in January?
            I dont think prices will fall much more, but you will get a much better spec for the money. It all depends on when the manufacturers decide to upgrade.
            Bbox and PlayStation tend to upgrade to push demand for xmas.
            Other manufacturers seem to wait so that your brand new xmas pressie is obsolete by February.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Wouldnt bother waiting really, laptop prices are pretty good these days anyway. I got an Acer Travelmate from http://uk.insight.com/apps/weeklydeals/index.php for peanuts and it is a superb, well built bit of kit that i'd heartily recommend.

Comment

If sales this Xmas will be low (and why would they be high - just ask MF about his tat shop!), then manufacturers will be forced to cut prices to sell off stocks of products that rapidly become obscolete - Intel has got new processor launch in Jan, so prices should drop nicely.

Of course in the event of prices going high the only responsible person will be whoever stupid enough to follow my advice.

ATWat.

Comment

Working...
                X