• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nurses outsource themselves

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nurses outsource themselves

Nurses sell services back to NHS

From Beeb Online

Seven hundred nurses and other health workers plan to form their own company and sell their services to the NHS.
    The group - which includes dieticians and physiotherapists - hope to start Central Surrey Health by next April.

They would retain NHS conditions of employment, including pension rights, and continue working for their trust.

Managers at East Elmbridge and Mid Surrey Primary Care Trust say the non-profit making company would give staff a greater say in decision-making.

The workers would also be able to sell their services to other trusts.

BBC health correspondent Jane Dreaper said a detailed staff consultation with staff is about to begin.

A member of the King's Fund think-tank said it was important for the community to have a stake in any new company.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Outsourcing nursing services whatever next? The driver for most outsourcing is cost cutting so will we see lower taxes spent on the NHS? I doubt it.
    Last edited by Chico; 18 November 2005, 11:05.
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Over the years I've often wondered, when thinking how the NHS should be reformed, if NHS services were going to be provided by independent autonomous organisations, with freedom to hire and fire staff and draw up their own contracts, and set salaries based on local living costs and competition for workers, how this would be reconciled with all the existing NHS workers being on NHS contracts with huge hidden pension costs, and (am I wrong about this?) national centrally set rates of pay. I thought the solution would be to move all the NHS staff into a "consultancy" which then hired them back to the organisations. The organisations would be free to hire and fire etc. but the NHS contract staff would still have security and NHS contracts. Of course the organisations would not be obliged to take their staff from the "consultancy" and so in the medium to long term the staff on NHS contracts would have to earn fees that covered the cost of employing them, or face redundancy if the consultancy was unable to place them anywhere because their NHS contract required fees above the market rate.

It didn't occur to me that the staff would actually volunteer for this arrangement.

Comment

I think it is more like the volentere in t'army, everyone takes, but the unfortunate, a step back as sargehnt mayor starts to showt.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
      X