• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What makes a great roast dinner?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Mind you, duck is nice but rather tricky to cut neatly. I've sometimes toyed with the idea of trying goose, although I've been told it's "rather oily" whatever that means.
    If you like duck, you'll love goose.

Goose gives off even more fat than duck during cooking. You will need to use a roasting pan with a tray and drain off the fat a few times during cooking. KEEP THAT FAT! Spuds roast in goose grease are dee-ee-ee-lish.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

OwlHoot - try goose, it's lovely. Cook it on a wire rack so the fat drains away and keep the excess for roasties.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Aye, Goose - Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Goose gives off even more fat than duck during cooking. You will need to use a roasting pan with a tray and drain off the fat a few times during cooking. KEEP THAT FAT! Spuds roast in goose grease are dee-ee-ee-lish.
          Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          OwlHoot - try goose, it's lovely. Cook it on a wire rack so the fat drains away and keep the excess for roasties.

I think that it is marvelous two different people can post the exact same thought at the exact same time.

I am going to have to have a sit-down now.

Comment

Have you considered squirrel?
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Goose fat was also considered good for someone with a "bad chest" when I was a nipper. Not sure what they did with it mind.

I'll go for mash as well as roast spuds and carrots; greens according to season. I'll also second scotspine's comment about hill lamb.

And definitely proper meat gravy - none of the Bisto/Oxo stuff.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Cant beat roast beef - with roast spuds, parnsips, greens, and real meat gravy

Have a look in the local lanes to see if you can find any horseradish and make your own - it'll knock your head off

http://www.downthelane.net/horseradish.php

Comment

I sometimes like to get wholegrain mustard and crushed black peppers and cover the top of the beef joint with it. Makes a nice crispy topping and adds to the gravy flavour.

I don't do the Sunday roast as often as I used to, I would end up drinking a bottle of red before the plate hit the table and another one during the meal. End up zonked the next day at work.

Comment

Leg of Salt Marsh lamb from your local butchers - fantastic.

Always roast your potatoes with goose fat (or duck). Cut them up, boil them in salted water (lots of salt) for 5 mins. Drain the water and then "fluff" them up by shacking vigorously in the saucepan. Preheat a tray of goose fat (lots and lots of oil) and when it sizzling, dip the potatoes in the oil and place on the tray. Turn the potatoes around every now and then and cook for 45 mins until dark, golden brown and crispy. By placing the potatoes on the hot oil, they won't stick.

And always yorkshire pudding - try using a bread tin rather than those cupcake tins - you get a large loaf of yorkshire which can be cut up like bread.

"hyperD - opening a restaurant near you"
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Roast chicken every time for me (i'm lucky that the farm i get my chicken from hangs them for a few days to get more flavour http://www.franklinsfarm.co.uk/index.asp), chatenay carrots, crispy roasties and a white wine gravy.

I cook mine in my kettle bbq, stuffed with bruised whole heads of garlic and herbs, baste in olive oil, season and that's it. You end up with lovely moist flavoursome meat, crispy skin (the best bit) and a tray fill of lovely juices, whch can be used for gravy or to dip bread in.
                      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X