• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trial start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The agency is Computer Futures if anyones wondering
    Yes its one of their sales tricks - I've heard it from them several times before and nothing ever comes of it. They are trying to force the client into taking you on, the client isn't saying no loud enough and they are offerring them sweeties at your expense. Bit like trying to get a double glazing salesman of your phone.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
      sounds a bit wierd that they can't suss out from an interview whether or not you have the required skills, which suggests either:

a, they don't know what they are talking about and do not consider themselves qualified enough to interview - therefore they are a noddy organisation if they have people running projects who don't know what they are on about

or

b, they are not confident enough in what you have presented so far, but they are despo for someone to do the work and will therefore compromise on a day's trial

Milan.
      If the client is serious then he must have quite a bit of confidence in the agency. In which case there is no reason why the agency should not be prepared to share the risk.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I had a similer one once, for a job in Zurich, the agency said they would pay for half the travel fees for me to go, and if I got the contract they would pay for the second half. I was based in the UK, and they wanted me to go for the interview taking a day of work.

In the end I blew it out, working the TAX out for the contract seemed like to much hassle compaired to the one I was already in.

Get the agency to share the cost of you.....
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

Hello DA,

qualified advice from your side.

Have we established whether or not the candidate has yet spoken to the client ?

DA, we haven't had any decent arguments over the Gulf War or other subjects for most of this year, what's going on ?

Did you go to Thatcher's birthday party ?

Milan.

Comment

I guess a lot depends on how desperate for work you are, how good the role is and how much will it cost you to do the days work. Also, how likely are CF in getting somebody else to do a day for nothing. Hold out for expenses at the very least.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

The agency is Computer Futures if anyones wondering
              Well that puts it in a different light.

I for one would say the day has to be invoicable to the agency either way. Get it in writing.

CF = complete fcukwits.

Comment

my old mate

Originally posted by milanbenes
                Hello DA,

qualified advice from your side.

Have we established whether or not the candidate has yet spoken to the client ?

DA, we haven't had any decent arguments over the Gulf War or other subjects for most of this year, what's going on ?

Did you go to Thatcher's birthday party ?

Milan.
                Milan,

We have not had any arguments because I think that you have changed, for the better! Although I have tried hard I cannot really take issue with any of your wise points! I also think that you and I have thrashed out all the old arguments to the point where everyone is bored by them.

I think I have become a bit of a fan of yours

As far as my great hero Auntie Maggie is concerned, she was a bit miffed that I could not take her up on her invite. We are still on good terms though and I occasionally go round and take her for a stroll in the park
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Or just maybe they need a bug fixer for a day cos their last supplier let them down and they need to meet a deadline date

Comment

Re:

You are a business man. If you do a days work; charge. If they don't want to pay, then f**k 'em. If I want an extension built I don't say to the builder, "Come round, lay a few bricks, if it's OK you can finish off."

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
                      You are a business man. If you do a days work; charge. If they don't want to pay, then f**k 'em. If I want an extension built I don't say to the builder, "Come round, lay a few bricks, if it's OK you can finish off."
                      No but you might say "if I plaster your living room for nothing will you give me the contract for rendering the outside" as mine did
                      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X