• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruitment Consultants, discuss.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruitment Consultants, discuss.

I'd just like to get a feel for your feelings on the topic.

At least lice are small and you don't notice them.

Comment

i assume you dont like them? Livce are actually pretty annoying, not that i've had them of course...

Comment

Originally posted by reformation
        i assume you dont like them? Livce are actually pretty annoying, not that i've had them of course...
        I take it you are an agent.

I'm sure on a social level they are very nice people, but when it comes to knowing them professionally, they are a major irritation who bring very little to the table. There must be a few decent agents out there, but I've yet to meet them.
        Agents seem to come in three flavours. There are the mockey wide boys who insist on talking to you like they are your 'mate' (can't stand that; be polite and professional, not some diamond geezer from the pub). There are the sharks, real pressure salesmen (or women) who would steal your watch if you shook hands with them (and invite themselves round to sleep in your bed in the process). And then there are the total idiots who ring, are clearly trying to follow a script, but can't even string a sentence together let alone understand the details of that corporate bookings system you coded four years ago.

Comment

pimps.
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

I agree with everything you've said, and yes obviously im an agent, well i run a recruitment company and i just wanted to get a feel for how we were regarded. The industry is full of kids that are trained by a 30 something that used to sell cars in dagenham and lucked into recruitment when the industry was booming when a strategically shaved monkey could do the job.

I can only apologise for any negative experiences you've had, my advice is probably dont deal with the ones you dont feel right about?

Anyway what do you do i might have a job for you ;-)

Comment

They pimp human flesh to the lowest bidder. Rather like a butcher with a blunt knife, they hack away at the carcass, and then ram it down the barrel of a large scattergun. Then they go around spray painting the blood of jobseekers all over the recruitment market until some lump of offal sticks down the throat of a potential employer.

Comment

Reformation, it is unfortunate, as I am sure there are a couple of decent agents out there, but the antics of the majority have left contractors feeling pretty suspicious and cynical. Unfortunately there are plenty of naive contractors out there who really don't understand what the game is all about, and they keep dodgy agents in business.

To work with contractors is pretty easy. Be honest and open; the rest will follow. And don't assume we are all fools who don't understand when a trick is being played (screwing us over rates, fishing for leads, etc.). Remember, contractors can actually help you, as quite often we are responsible for bringing in additional staff (via an agency). I always remember how well an agent has treated me; those agents get my preference when it comes to recruiting.

As for what I do. These days I do management contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
                  They pimp human flesh to the lowest bidder. Rather like a butcher with a blunt knife, they hack away at the carcass, and then ram it down the barrel of a large scattergun. Then they go around spray painting the blood of jobseekers all over the recruitment market until some lump of offal sticks down the throat of a potential employer.
                  SA says;
                  Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by voron
                    Reformation, it is unfortunate, as I am sure there are a couple of decent agents out there, but the antics of the majority have left contractors feeling pretty suspicious and cynical. Unfortunately there are plenty of naive contractors out there who really don't understand what the game is all about, and they keep dodgy agents in business.

To work with contractors is pretty easy. Be honest and open; the rest will follow. And don't assume we are all fools who don't understand when a trick is being played (screwing us over rates, fishing for leads, etc.). Remember, contractors can actually help you, as quite often we are responsible for bringing in additional staff (via an agency). I always remember how well an agent has treated me; those agents get my preference when it comes to recruiting.

As for what I do. These days I do management contracting.
                    I agree with you again, it seems a real 'them and us' type situation with neither side willing to blink first, yeah there are some piss poor agents out there but contractors can be a little narky too ;-) I dont agree with the policy of 'fishing' for leads from contractors because what does that say about you as individual, i (the agent) want to place you with one and hand and then with the other **** you over on other job opportunities you have. So to me thats a DUMB thing to do, i have always tried to treat the people i deal with with the respect they deserve, as an agent you're dealing with well educated people in a professional environment, treat them that way and you will be treated in kind.

Anyway im preaching to the converted! Sorry you have a bad view of us a whole and i have to say that most of it is justified, i think the problem is in the training the staff are given and most large agencies employ kids kin their early 20's who dont know how to deal with or relate to professional people.

anyway thats my tuppence worth!

Comment

Working...
                    X