• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Demand for senior IT staff growing; as is bullying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

User Groups
    IT Directors
    Thursday 29 September 2005

Demand for senior IT staff - particularly women - is growing, but workplace bullying is also more likely the higher up the IT ladder you scale, according to a report from e-Skills, the industry body for IT, telecoms and contact centre staff.

The report is part of a series of IT management surveys from e-Skills, which show...

... that life in a senior IT role is mixture of opportunities and challenges. This latest one reveals that even though IT management jobs have increased 34% over the past four years, demand elsewhere in the IT department has remained static or fallen, as offshoring takes up the slack.

The greatest demand is for people with Java programming, Microsoft .net or security experience.

For the first time, women IT managers are earning more than their male colleagues and scaling the management levels faster, according to the annual salary survey from the Chartered Management Institute (CMI).

The CMI found that women IT managers earn on average £45,446, some £779 more than their male counterparts and women across all sectors are receiving larger bonuses.

Yet female managers are also more likely to resign. A separate CMI survey points out that 54% of women say that they have been bullied in the last three years, compared with 35% of men. Whereas middle managers were the worst affected, bullying struck at all levels. Nearly a third of directors (29%) said that they had been bullied.

The best remedy to the problem is to train senior staff to deal with bullying and establish a company policy on bullying.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Ive dealt with bullying of IT staff, resulted in the sacking of the person in question!

Makes me laugh when you see someone trying it on with you...if only the realised that their actions lead directly to time delays in the delivery of their services

Mailman

Comment

There is nothing worse than bullying in IT.

Only last week I had to hand over my dinner money and yesterday the bullies gave me a wedgie infront of the sales girls. Very embarrasing I can tell you.

Comment

Geeks have always been bullied. That's why the members of this forum are so belligerent; it's the only chance they have ever had to act tough and attack others without risking a smack.

We should all head down to the local gym and get rid of those specs thanks to the wonders of laser treatment!

Comment

Originally posted by voron
          Geeks have always been bullied. That's why the members of this forum are so belligerent; it's the only chance they have ever had to act tough and attack others without risking a smack.
          Nahh i am just as arrogant and belligerent out in the real world

Comment

Bullied

"Threaded, DimPrawn, Franko and ATW had never been bullied, but Milan was not looking forward to the showers"
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
            X