• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Read Receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read Receipts

The practice of requesting a read receipt on email is an uncouth etiquette that needs to be stamped out.

People that do it really pi55 me off! I am sure that some morons are not even aware of the irritation and offense they cause others – ignorance is not an excuse though.

I never send read receipts and I tell you now: if you request them, you are a w*nker.

On the contrary, requesting read receipts is a great way of covering your back, as when the sh1t hits the fans (which is always does) you have some wonderful evidence that you stated x and requested y, but it wasn't done because permie z is a lazy bastard.

The great thing about being a consultant is that you can recommend all sorts of wonderful solutions which the client would never be able to implement (for a variety of reasons), but you have recommended, they haven't listened, so they are a bunch of gutless swine.

Btw, I am a vvanker. But you already knew that

Comment

sorry I do it all the time, to cover my ass, when you recomend somthing, or ask for action to take place, the permies read the email, but take no action, well whos fault is it that system x is still not up and running.....not mine because I recomended this action, it would have fixed the problem.......

now it does depend, I guess, on the type of email you're sending...........
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

How about the Bcc field? Ooh now thats a cheeky one...
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon

yes but you can get unstuck with that one, when the person who you have Bcc'd then foward the email on and enters the disscussion......
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
            yes but you can get unstuck with that one, when the person who you have Bcc'd then foward the email on and enters the disscussion......
            Funny you should say that because that has happened to me. He was an IT Director of all people too. Didn't even notice that he had been Bcc'd.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Nah, the worst people are those that copy in every man and his dog when he wants to slag you off.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

People can turn read receipts off - best course of action is BCC yourself and request a DELIVERY receipt which is usually out of the persons control (depends on the mail system if its available or not).

Then you have proof you wrote the email, and hopefully proof it reached the persons inbox - if they didnt read it its their problem.

I usually do this after meetings to check I am performing my activities according to an agreed plan.
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                  An indispensible tool for the wanna be Office Politican !

I recall a few years back there was an interesting bug with the Notes Mail insofar as when the BCC option was used, mails would be sent and received in the usual manner, ie any entrys in the BCC field would not be displayed ,

However if the recipent then printed the mail,the bug would cause the BCC info would be printed in all its devastating detail ... ahem ...
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 October 2005, 09:55.

Comment

Another bug/issue is that most email programs let you preview the email without openeing it. This generally does not trigger the Read receipt.

Comment

Working...
                    X