• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Marital Status on CVs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marital Status on CVs

Do you put whether you are married or single on a CV ?

Do you think it has an impact on getting the job ?

eg If they think that you are married will they think you are a desperate bastardo trying to support your family and offer you a lower rate OR if they know you are single ... will they offer you a lower rate because they know that you don't have any dependents to support ?

what do you think ?

Used to put it, dropped it about a year ago as realised it's pointless in this day and age.

Comment

Originally posted by messiah
      Do you put whether you are married or single on a CV?
      Do you ask your plumber, taxi-driver, or doctor? So why should you go out of your way to offer this personal information to your clients?

Comment

I put no personal information. No age, no gender, marital, hobbies, etc.

Clients are buying services not a person. If they don't like they can go to India (and most do and regret it). Which makes me think, do they ask the Indian offshore supplier if Sanjit or Dipak is married? I doubt it somehow.

PS. I do however mention that I am incredibly well endowed. Well there's no harm in boasting is there?

Comment

I used to be well endowed, but I liquidated my assets - managed to get out of the housing market at a reasonable price with a cash buyer.

Now, should I pop round the shops to pick up a nice chianti and some proscuitto to enjoy with my Visual Studio 2005 self paced training? (sorry, trying to mix my wild carefree lifestyle with suitable levels of geekdom)
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

just put: gay
            then you'll never work again.

or put: married with 4, kids, 10 grandchildren, 20 great grand children
            then you'll be too old.

or put: single
            assumed as gay

or put: have girlfriend
            assumed as gay

or put: nothing
            then you might just get somewhere.

Comment

Married or Single

I understand that ATW puts "Single and Ugly Bastard" on his.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I think being single is an advantage for short term contracts where you have to relocate, a family man needs to work near home .
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 October 2005, 09:45.

Comment

"I think being single is an advantage for short term contracts where you have to relocate, a family man needs to work near home ."

I disagree. I think employers think that this man has no life and will be sat in his hotel bar at night downing lager and stalking young estate agents late into the night.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I put single, no dependants purely because I worry that (being female) clients/agencies will assume I will want to hear the call of my biological clock at some point and take time off to drop a sprog in the middle of a contract. (Something I have no intention of doing, ever, by the way)

But then, I think I might just drop it from the next incarnation of my CV and see whether anyone even notices!

Comment

Working...
                    X